Help: Hum but not when trem is engaged.

Started by master_wiggins, May 18, 2017, 04:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

master_wiggins

Hi,

I'm hoping you can help me, I've been building pedals (from kits) for a a few years (but would still consider myself a beginner).  I have just got to the testing stage with my latest pedal and have come across a problem which I just don't understand.

The pedal is basically an A/B/Y  / loop to go at the centre of by pedal board with a few additions.  My main guitar has a piezo bridge pickup and this pedal sends the piezo signal through one effects loop and the main signal through another loop (actually 2 loops, but that's not relivant to my problem) then they both come back to the A/B switch and then out to the amp.  For the 'Y' switch I have a blender circuit and boost (both built from kits by Fuzz Dog).  Also on the main loop I stuck in an EA tremolo for good measure.

My problem is that when I try the 'Y' circuit I get a really noticeable hum.  I am fairly sure that it is coming from the boost not the blend circuit as I used the blend circuit in a previous pedal.  But here is the weird bit that I don't understand; when I turn on the tremolo the hum just disappears.  I don't understand because these circuits shouldn't have any effect on each other.

So just to clarify:

(Piezo out via EQ pedal) mixed with (humbucker out via distortion pedal) into boost - hum
(Piezo out via EQ pedal) mixed with (humbucker out via distortion pedal and EA trem) into boost - no hum

Anyone have any idea what could be going on here?

David

Ps.  If you'll excuse my shamefully messy wiring I'll post some photos below.

antonis

Nice tomato & pesto sauce spaghetti...!!!  :icon_biggrin:
(it's almost lunch time here..)  :icon_redface:

Don't know much about piezo pickups but, if you use "common" PS for all your pedals (daisy-chain), your tremolo has a 50/60 Hz RC filter in it's individual circuit..

P.S.
Re-arrange that spaghetti and embellish it with some low frequency decoupling caps..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

duck_arse

as someone much smarter than me once said:

Quote:icon_eek:
don't make me draw another line.

master_wiggins

Thanks Antonis,

So would it make sense to try adding a filter to the power supply of the boost cercuit?

Something like this perhaps? :

http://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Hum_Stop_-_power_supply_hum_reducer/p847124_6807259.aspx

antonis

It should be a good idea to place one on every individual circuit..
(if already doesn't exist..)

I don't suggest "one-for-all" for many reasons..
(one of them is the need for a very small series resistor, to avoid high voltage drop due to sum of currents, leading to a big electro capacitor value..)

Note that, you may avoid each circuit's hum but not necessarily the hum due to ground loops..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..