Unique feature for an overdrive pedal?

Started by niektb, May 22, 2017, 02:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

niektb

Hi folks!

I'm currently designing a tubescreamer mod clone. So far my schematic is largely complete but I thought it would be fun to include some kind of special feature to make it different from other tubescreamer clones. If you could choose from anything, what would you include?

So far my feature list (compared to the stock screamer) includes:
- High quality film caps and audio-grade elco's
- True bypassing
- Auto shutdown (no power is applied when the input is disconnected)
- Reverse polarity protection
- Bi-colored LED to display the pedal's state (power available and pedal active indication)
- Better input transistor buffer for lower noise at hi-gain settings
- Resistor and cap value changes (similar to other popular mods like f.e. keeley's)

All in all a nice list but nothing too special I'd say. Hence my question  ;)

Here is my current schematic:

garcho

since it already has a (caveman) active filter, try turning that stage into a parametric eq
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Kipper4

Welcome niektb.
Sure you can upload a schematic to a picture host.
Copy the bb forum code from it and share it in a reply

you will need to use the insert image icon (Bottom left)
then paste your host code between the [img] thingys

If you have trouble I'll do an example for you.
Welcome to the friendliest DIY forum on the web.

Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

bartimaeus

What about an independent bass control of some kind? Clean mix? Alternate clipping option? I've seen all of those on boutique Tubescreamers, although they can turn it into a different pedal (esp in case of clipping options) rather than make it a better Tubescreamer.

Is it safe to assume that you've tweaked all of the component values already?

KarenColumbo

Add a 5-way rotary switch and give it 5 different clipping options: Ge and Si diodes, CMOS, Mosfet and an old decrepid opamp
  • SUPPORTER
I see something of myself in everyone / Just at this moment of the world / As snow gathers like bolts of lace / Waltzing on a ballroom girl" - Joni Mitchell - "Hejira"

karbomusic

A blend knob between TS and clean boost. It's one pedal design that works well with a blend and is the single feature that made everyone in my neighborhood, want the one I occasionally build and sell.

EBK

Don't forget about unique artwork, if you you are aiming for something special.  Your pedal, your rules. Go nuts!
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

Frank_NH

I built the colorsound wah (schematic below) as a fixed wah effect on my breadboard.  Piping this into a tube screamer sounded AWESOME.  You could build it on a separate board (e.g. vero) and use a DPDT switch to engage it.

mth5044

Lookit how screddy did the tone shaping on the lunar module and do something like that.

niektb

Quote from: Kipper4 on May 22, 2017, 03:57:31 PM
Welcome niektb.
Sure you can upload a schematic to a picture host.
Copy the bb forum code from it and share it in a reply

you will need to use the insert image icon (Bottom left)
then paste your host code between the [img] thingys

If you have trouble I'll do an example for you.
Welcome to the friendliest DIY forum on the web.

Ah yes, but I would still have to upload it on a third party website. Other forums I have been part of allowed you to upload your images directly to the forum itself :) anyways, thanks for the answer!

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

PRR

> Other forums I have been part of allowed you to upload your images directly to the forum itself

Aron lets us yak it up (significant hosting costs) with NO fee and NO ads.

That he can't cover our image-hosting desires also is not a huge drawback.

I like postimg.org

• SUPPORTER

niektb

What I hate about imgur is that the images are removed whenever the viewer count (per certain timeinterval) drops below a certain point. Postimg seems much better  :)

I've attached the schematic to the TS!  ;D

Quote from: garcho on May 22, 2017, 02:40:10 PM
since it already has a (caveman) active filter, try turning that stage into a parametric eq
Wouldn't it be handy to preserve some kind of LPF?

Quote from: mth5044 on May 23, 2017, 12:10:12 AM
Lookit how screddy did the tone shaping on the lunar module and do something like that.
Do you have a link by chance?

Will reply on the other comments tomorrow!  :D

bluebunny

Quote from: PRR on May 23, 2017, 06:28:48 PM

A timely reminder - thanks, Paul.  @Everyone: perhaps visit here if you can afford a few bux.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

aron

I wish there was a way for simple machines to allow uploading images to another server as part of the script. That would solve a lot of problems.

Agung Kurniawan

you should try this:
1. adding dr.boogey input stage between input buffer and the opamp  for nice clean booster.
2. make the diode cliper changeable with 2 spdt switch. 2x1N4148 and 2x5mm LED should give you 4 different sound character. 1N4148+5mm LED sound best for me.
3. change tone section with more powerfull one like MT-2. bass, treble and sweepable mid-freq.
4. adding the last stage of zoom trimetal to the end of the tone control to give you nice sound character.
Multiple gain stage followed by some active EQ is delicious.

PRR

> I wish there was a way for simple machines to allow uploading images to another server as part of the script.

Postimage tool: https://postimage.io/site-plugins/smf.php

"This mod adds a tool to quickly upload and attach images to posts. Images are uploaded to our website"

• SUPPORTER

KarenColumbo

Thx for reminding me. Done.
Also: have a look at the projects @ http://www.runoffgroove.com - many ideas there. Maybe splice in some particular circuit from there?

Quote from: bluebunny on May 24, 2017, 02:50:51 AM
Quote from: PRR on May 23, 2017, 06:28:48 PM

A timely reminder - thanks, Paul.  @Everyone: perhaps visit here if you can afford a few bux.
  • SUPPORTER
I see something of myself in everyone / Just at this moment of the world / As snow gathers like bolts of lace / Waltzing on a ballroom girl" - Joni Mitchell - "Hejira"

aron

KarenColumbo

• SUPPORTER