JFET clean boost with tone control

Started by sivnalem, May 23, 2017, 10:35:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sivnalem

I just complete my warmoth strat build and love it.  However I need to now revamp my pedal board.  I use a BSIAB2 into a  Bassman head that been modified as a Trainwreck clone.  The amp runs pretty clean.  I need to give a boost for solos and I would alos like to have this boost add some midrange or have some level of tone control

I have also been using a Sparkle Boost for clean tones and it gives plenty of clean gain. 

In doing some research AMZ had a great write up for a tone control that would work exactly like I want

The AMZ site mentions that a JFET would work well ahead of this tone control circuit.  I have begun playing around with melding these 2 things together.  I'm not sure if it's just a matter of joining these 2 circuits together or if there is any buffering that would be needed.  Any advice or suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

duck_arse

that tone control is the standard big muff type, which is usually followed by a make-up stage, a single transistor to boost what was lost in the tone section. you can remove the sparkle-boost 100k, and insert your tonestack after the 1uF, followed with a standard muff output section. the fender blender, foxx tone machine, super fuzz all use the similar type output stage, any of those should suit.
don't make me draw another line.

smallbearelec

http://diy.smallbearelec.com/HowTos/BreadboardBareAss/BreadboardBareAss.htm

http://diy.smallbearelec.com/Projects/BareAssBoost/BareAssBoost.htm

The first article is the how-and-why with info on how to configure for the gain you want, and the second is a complete project.

Regards
SD

amptramp

You could put the JFET and everything connected to the gate and source in the guitar and the rest in a box as the first pedal in a chain (without a stompswitch).  This would give you a buffer with a standard coax cable connection but the cable could be quite long.  The impedance on the cable would be 100K || 100K || trim control resistance, meaning no less than 33K on the cable so it could be quite long without the capacitance affecting response and the gain pot would replace a master volume control on the guitar itself.

Plexi

Like Duck says..its tje BM tone stack. You'll need to change some values there if you want mids boost. BM tone stack is mostly scooped.
I'll breadboard that sparkle boost, looks interesting
To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.

DavidRavenMoon

That Sparkle Boost looks just like an Alembic Stratoblaster with an output control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SGD Lutherie
Hand wound pickups, and electronics.
www.sgd-lutherie.com
www.myspace.com/davidschwab

GibsonGM

Quote from: DavidRavenMoon on May 24, 2017, 02:55:05 PM
That Sparkle Boost looks just like an Alembic Stratoblaster with an output control.

I wasn't going to say anything, but Fetzer Valve and others, too.  Adding the pot for gain boost is an extremely well-known, and often done thing, esp. with triodes. 

I totally understand not wanting anyone to reproduce "THIS" image of a typical FET gain stage, to use "THIS" name, "THIS" PCB pattern that someone made (gotta make your own), but the tech is so well known that anyone CAN build it, commercial or DIY.   

This sucker is public domain. 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

DavidRavenMoon

Quote from: GibsonGM on May 24, 2017, 03:47:25 PM
Quote from: DavidRavenMoon on May 24, 2017, 02:55:05 PM

I wasn't going to say anything, but Fetzer Valve and others, too.  Adding the pot for gain boost is an extremely well-known, and often done thing, esp. with triodes. 

I totally understand not wanting anyone to reproduce "THIS" image of a typical FET gain stage, to use "THIS" name, "THIS" PCB pattern that someone made (gotta make your own), but the tech is so well known that anyone CAN build it, commercial or DIY.   

This sucker is public domain.

The Stratoblaster has a gain control. All those circuits are pretty much what you find in the application notes for the JFET. Nothing special.

What annoys me is people stealing designs like a Tube Screamer, changing a few things, and acting like they designed the circuit! It's ironic that EHX is copying other pedals now. Guess they got tired of people making Muff knock offs. Lol

SGD Lutherie
Hand wound pickups, and electronics.
www.sgd-lutherie.com
www.myspace.com/davidschwab

GibsonGM

Yeah...kinda sucks :(     Art work is one thing, and the schematic itself is yours, those are copyrighted.....but you can't stop ppl from building what is in the app notes for pete's sake! 

If you are that worried about your sub of a .22u cap for a .1u, then don't put it out there....
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...