pictures of my last buils (i'm getting better)

Started by pipporan, May 26, 2017, 08:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pipporan

this is nurse quacky, a very nice autowah, with a blinking led going with your picks!
i crossed all the wires (maybe too much?), all the 9+V with grounds wires, the inputs with ground, and the outputs with grounds...
i covered all the inside with aluminum tape, like suggested by several guys on my previous post; i covered all the pots and the back of the board with insulating tape to be sure of avoiding contacts...i made the 3pdt wiring with grounded input when bypassed...
what do you think? what can you improvein next boxing?
i just got informed about star grounding...should i try that next time?in what place of the box should it be done??

EBK

Anyone else feel a strange urge to quote Monty Python?

"I'm getting better."

"No you're not, you'll be stone dead in a moment."

"Well, I can't take him like that. It's against regulations."

Back to being serious, I like your labeling on your pic.
As for star grounding, my place of choice is the DC jack.  Others may tell you either input or output jack.  To be honest, it tends to be a thing we do in order to build "properly" rather than to specifically address noise.  It's part of my mantra, "If I can theoretically reduce noise by certain techniques, then I will use those techniques, even if reality disagrees."  :icon_wink:
Maybe that qualifies as a religion....

• SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

pipporan

"I'm getting better."

what is it? the holy graal?
i like monthy python too, but i havent understood it was just a quote, or a gentle way to criticize my built ;D ;D ;D
in the second case, feel free to deepen ... im not the touchy/irritable type ;)

EBK

Quote from: pipporan on May 27, 2017, 01:08:39 PM
"I'm getting better."

what is it? the holy graal?
i like monthy python too, but i havent understood it was just a quote, or a gentle way to criticize my built ;D ;D ;D
in the second case, feel free to deepen ... im not the touchy/irritable type ;)
Just a quote, inspired by your word choice.  Not criticism.  :icon_biggrin:

Yes, from Holy Grail.

Your build looks fine.  I'd trim the leads on the transistor and not have it leaning against anything that can move though, to prevent it from possibly falling out later.

You connected a ground wire to the aluminum tape, right?
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

thermionix

I would use shorter wires and not worry about twisting them.  That's really more of an AC thing.  And obviously metal enclosures offer several advantages.

pipporan

not earthed to aluminum..i tried to do it with a pot's back, but i didnt manage...do you think it's doable with aluminum tape?
about transistors, they seem to be stable even if not cut, i like to let like they were news, so i can easily take them from a completed effect to use them in another effect ('cos i have few of them:))

i know i use too long wires...it's because i solder everything before boxing to try if everything's fine (and, to be sure, i let the wires longer than what i think they need), then when i box i dont like to desolder anything if it's unnecessary, so: i have long wires all around...this built is quite organized, but until the previous one in which i didnt cross the wires, it was a big mess!