Replacing a footswitch with 3 pins with a toggle switch?

Started by tdarkas, May 24, 2017, 07:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdarkas

I want to replace the footswitch on a vintage MXR Phase 100 Block Logo pedal with a toggle switch. I am a complete newbie when it comes to guitar pedals but I have wired switches and rotary switches before, the only problem is the only information I can find online is with footswitches that have 9 pins, this one only has 3... Anyone know how to do it?

blackieNYC

chances are the middle pin choses This, or That. just like your toggle.  If you were to make the new wiring look like the old wiring, in terms of layout, you'd probably be there.  But - do you have any sort of ohmmeter?  regardless, dive in.  you can post photos if you wish, or take photos just for yourself, to leave a trail of breadcrumbs.
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

thermionix

A three lug (pin) switch is single-pole, double-throw (SPDT), so that's the type of toggle you would want to get.  There is some variation on which lug is which, so you would need to determine that when moving the connections over.  One way to do that is with a continuity tester or ohmmeter, or you can work it out from the schematic.  Usually a SPDT is set up where the middle lug is common, and switches between the two outside lugs.  But not always.  Some old wah pedals, for example, have a footswitch with two lugs on ones side, one on the other, no middle.

Edit:  I should add that you want an ON-ON (2 position) toggle switch, not an ON-OFF-ON or ON-ON-ON (3 position) toggle.

tdarkas

Thanks for the info guys, this footswitch has two lugs on one side, one on the other. I have tested the continuity and there is only continuity between the pin on the left and the bottom pin on the right. The toggle-switch I have is a 2 position DPDT switch, could I not use that?

blackieNYC

The one on the left is going to choose one of the two on the right, as you switch back and forth.
You also have to see if that footswitch is momentary or latching.  The toggle is almost certainly latching in either position. 
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

tdarkas

Okay I missed something, when the footswitch is in one position the current flows from the bottom right to left pin. But when the switch is in the other position it flows from bottom right to top right. Makes more sense now lol  :icon_redface: So I guess I need a SPDT switch. Thanks so much for the help.

thermionix

You can use your DPDT, no need to order another switch.  You'll only be using half of it, one pole.  Three lugs in a row.

tdarkas

Yeah I thought this, the one I have is on-off which won't be suitable, but instead I used a 2pdt on-off-on and bridged two of the pins to make one. I've yet to test it though.

thermionix

Quote from: tdarkas on May 25, 2017, 11:11:27 AM
The toggle-switch I have is a 2 position DPDT switch, could I not use that?

I'm saying you can use this, two position DPDT should be ON-ON.

tdarkas

Nope, unfortunately it is on-off. So I have used an on-off-on in the meantime and looking for a nice quality gold plated spdt to replace it.

thermionix

Unless my brain is malfunctioning (it happens) an ON-OFF toggle would be single-throw.  Can be multiple poles though.  Can you post a picture of what switches you have, the solder lug side?

tdarkas

I'm not sure, I don't have a camera on me at the moment but it has 4 lugs. The on-off-on switch I used does the job though. Tested and working fine.

thermionix

That's good you got it working.  Four lugs ON-OFF is DPST.