Condor Cab Sim Gain Question

Started by TopBoost, May 25, 2017, 11:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TopBoost

Hey all,
While searching around the site I found this post:

Quote from: stm on October 04, 2005, 05:20:08 PM
Hi, here are the answers and some ideas to your questions:

1) Output is basically "guitar level", which is somewhat lower than typical line levels. There is an easy way to get more output level from the circuit involving two resistors around U1A. Place a 100k resistor between pins 1 and 2 of U1A instead of the jumper, and then place a second 100k resistor between pin 2 of U1A and Vref. This will raise overall gain by 6 dB. If you make this second resistor equal to 47k, then you have 10 dB more output signal, while 33k will give you 12 dB's above the standard level. If you go too high with gain you will have clipping in U1A, which is not necessarily a bad thing, because it happens just before the fourth order low-pass filtering which will remove most of the annoying highs!  Also, a good point of experimentation is to place a couple of silicon diodes or red LEDs between pins 1 and 2 of U1A, a la Tube Screamer!

My question is this:

I get adding the 100k resistor in place of the jumper between pins 1 & 2 of the first opamp, but where does the second resistor go? I don't see where Vref connects to pin 2... maybe it was supposed to be pin 5?

anotherjim

Not to pin 5 directly, but the "second resistor" from pin 2 to anywhere in the circuit that is called Vref.

TopBoost

Excellent.  Thanks for the answer.