Where do i start?

Started by Sinister, May 25, 2017, 11:09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sinister

Hello,
I just have one goal and that is to Learn and Build my own pedal someday.
Pls do help me and tell me where i can find information.any books or tips where to start will be a good help for me....thanks to everyone and to the owner of this site. Glad i found it today. \m/

EBK

Welcome!

Try reading through the project described on the Beginner Project board here: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?board=6.0

There are also a couple FAQ links above.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

Kipper4

Welcome and one day you will build your own pedal.

As Eric points out start small would be my advice too if your new to electronics.
Dive right in make some mistakes. Learn from the guys here. They're amazing.
I started from Xmas 12 and have since developed some projects that are not unique but I can call them my own.
I'm proud of what I have achieved with the help of some guys. Some will comment in threads, some in pm's quietly schooling and asking questions that will lead you to where you need to be.
Some with drawings and sound files. Some don't say much.
Amazing day isn't it.
One transistor boost, op amp or Fet. Dive in.
I look forward to your first debug.
Rich
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

blackieNYC

There are also kits you can buy that include all parts - can you solder well?
There are projects for breadboarding and assembling a simple build at smallbearelectronics.com
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

GibsonGM

Tell us a little more Sinister (and welcome)...do you have your own digital multi-meter (DMM)?  If so, what kind?

How about basic hand tools like wire strippers, 'side cutters' (wire cutters), small pliers, screwdrivers.....and a soldering iron (like 25W or so)?
If not, will you be able to get some basic stuff like that?
Blackie already asked if you can solder.

Any background in reading an electrical schematic?  No worries if not.  Any classes or reading about basic electronics?

You can learn as much (or as little...) on this site as you want!  You're in the right place.  There are no stupid questions.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

robthequiet

+1 All comments above.

So what kind of music do you intend for your pedals?

sominka

Get a bread board and start experimenting with a fuzz type circuit.

smallbearelec

Quote from: Sinister on May 25, 2017, 11:09:51 AM
...Learn and Build my own pedal someday.

Why not now? You probably feel a bit like you have entered a new universe; actually, the DIY pedal world started to form back in the '80s and really began solidifying in the late '90s. Much art and science have accumulated in those times and since. The residents here will help you to get off on the right foot and avoid BFS (Beginner Frustration Syndrome--Small Bearish neologism). Here's my Beginner FAQ:

http://diy.smallbearelec.com/HowTos/BeginnerArticle/BeginnerDos.htm

There are links in there to info and things you can find in my store, but the information is general and should be useful no matter where you are/where you shop.

Happy Construction!
Steve Daniels
Small Bear Electronics LLC

Sinister

Wow! Im really greatful and So thank full for all the answers.didnt expect its gonna be that fast.
1. I just ordered all the tools that i need to start building pedals / except diy pedals
2. Ive been watching a lot on YouTube on how to solder and i think i can do it good in about a week of practice.
3. I dont know or No idea even on basics electronics.
4. Where or What books that i can get that Will help me to understand basics stuffs to begin with?
5. Im planning to build pedals that will suits to my t'aste someday. But of course for the moment i just want to learn how and move forward little by little.
Again i thanked you all and So greatful to find this site... \m/

EBK

4.  How about Getting Started in Electronics by Forrest Mims?
  • SUPPORTER

Sinister

Quote from: smallbearelec on May 25, 2017, 03:05:54 PM
Quote from: Sinister on May 25, 2017, 11:09:51 AM
...Learn and Build my own pedal someday.

Why not now? You probably feel a bit like you have entered a new universe; actually, the DIY pedal world started to form back in the '80s and really began solidifying in the late '90s. Much art and science have accumulated in those times and since. The residents here will help you to get off on the right foot and avoid BFS (Beginner Frustration Syndrome--Small Bearish neologism). Here's my Beginner FAQ:
Checked the site and would like to get a bread board from you but its out of stock in your site. Do you have new stocks now? Thanks!
http://diy.smallbearelec.com/HowTos/BeginnerArticle/BeginnerDos.htm

There are links in there to info and things you can find in my store, but the information is general and should be useful no matter where you are/where you shop.

Happy Construction!
Steve Daniels
Small Bear Electronics LLC

thermionix

Kits are a good way to start, places like BYOC (build your own clone) and others offer full kits and step-by-step instructions.  You don't have to understand the circuits, so you can get used to soldering and building while you are simultaneously learning basic electronics.  If you want to pick your own enclosure and layout and drill your own holes, there are even more places that sell just the PCBs for popular circuits.  Madbean, General Guitar Gadgets, Aion to name a few.  A breadboard is a good suggestion too.

ElectricDruid

Welcome!

As some others have said, maybe build a few kits as a first step. That'll get you used to identifying components and soldering and so forth, and before you know it you'll be making a few mods to the kits. After that, it's a slippery slope!

There are many degrees of "building your own pedal", all the way from full kits complete with all the parts and a drilled enclosure, to bare PCBs that you have to populate and house yourself, through to designing the circuit yourself, doing a PCB layout, making a PCB, and *then* building it and housing it. You can choose where on this spectrum you enjoy being, and you don't have to stay in one place!
Personally, I don't particularly enjoy making PCBs or doing enclosures, so these days I tend to get circuit boards made professionally and I do the minimum for enclosures. Others here do some amazing hand-made or heavily customised enclosures, but that's not really my thing, although I appreciate their work. The fun bits for me are working on a new circuit and making it work. Similarly, you'll find areas you enjoy and other bits you're happier to let other people do - and that's all fine.

Tom

EBK

+1 on the kit recommendation for several reasons.  It gives you easy access to the full process of building stuff, and gets you quicker to a result, good or bad.  :icon_wink:
Tom more or less I just said everything I was thinking, except for one  detail.  Depending on your particular taste for parts and finishing styles, you will likely always spend more to build a pedal than you would to buy a surprisingly reasonable quality Chinese knock off of the same pedal.  I personally find my builds hovering around $100 in cost much of the time, but some will be less.  As long as you don't value your enjoyment and learning experience at $0, you could come out ahead every time.  :icon_cool:
  • SUPPORTER

GibsonGM

Quote from: EBK on May 25, 2017, 05:37:54 PM
4.  How about Getting Started in Electronics by Forrest Mims?

Great book!   

If one is resourceful, you may find it online!  I found the old "Engineer's Mini Handbooks" by Mimms, didn't take that long on Google.   Great little handbooks in PDF form you can DL and read, to get a better idea of how this works.   There are also limitless "electronics tutorial" sites and vids on Youtube...the vids are great, check some out! 

Don't feel pressured to learn 'all' electronics all at once, only as much as you can digest.   Your own pace and all....
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

aron

I would start with a really simple project. The reason I don't like "kits' in general (for beginners) are that people usually pick complicated  projects that are plug in and play without really looking at the circuit.
The beginner project type of circuit is a good start. Be able to identify the parts and also be able to do simple soldering.

EBK

Quote from: aron on May 25, 2017, 07:48:48 PM
I would start with a really simple project. The reason I don't like "kits' in general (for beginners) are that people usually pick complicated  projects that are plug in and play without really looking at the circuit.
The beginner project type of circuit is a good start. Be able to identify the parts and also be able to do simple soldering.
I mostly agree, Aron.  That's why I pointed to your beginner's project first.   :icon_wink:

However, the people who build from a kit might love that kind of build, and they might become inspired to try something more challenging or go more in depth afterward.  Depends on the person.  Then there's the entirely separate challenge of sourcing parts.  Mouser stocks over 2,000 different 100nF capacitors....
  • SUPPORTER

blackieNYC

Skip layouts, go from schematic to perf board.
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

smallbearelec

Quote from: Sinister on May 25, 2017, 05:47:12 PM
Checked the site and would like to get a bread board from you but its out of stock in your site. Do you have new stocks now? Thanks!

The Idea Board Kit is in stock again, though it may be more than you need to start. Something as simple and inexpensive as this:

http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/breadboard-strip-with-power-bus-small/

will do for small circuits.

Sinister

Quote from: smallbearelec on May 25, 2017, 10:31:55 PM
Quote from: Sinister on May 25, 2017, 05:47:12 PM

The Idea Board Kit is in stock again, though it may be more than you need to start. Something as simple and inexpensive as this:

http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/breadboard-strip-with-power-bus-small/

Thank you. Will start with this first ! What can you suggest me to start first? I dont have fuzz pedal on my board What you think?

will do for small circuits.