UNIVOX SUPER-FUZZ Clone too much high end?

Started by carboncomp, May 25, 2017, 10:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carboncomp

I built a clone of my UNIVOX SUPER-FUZZ, even using a clone of the PCB off ebay, and all original values from my original.

The clone sounds good, but has higher output and noticeably more top end.

I presume the higher output is due to just higher Hfe values in the output stage (did not have the heart to de-solder and measure all the transistors), but what about the extra highs?   

Mark Hammer

Put a small (1k-ish) resistor between the diode pair and ground to keep the compression action of the diodes but reduce their clipping effect.  Run a medium-value cap to ground in parallel with the diode/resistor combo to roll off some highs.  Start off with 10nf (.01uf) and reduce value if it's too dull-sounding, or increase  if still too searing.

bool

You could also just simply solder a bleeder cap at the output (out-to-gnd) of the circuit; to act as a simple lowpass filter. No modification on the pcb required. Similar values to the ones Mr.Hammer suggested.

Plexi

To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.

carboncomp

Plexi

They're the "original" ones, anyways; if the datasheet doesn't lie, it seems to have low hfe.
Are they verified? All the caps?

I'll try the cap at the end, like recommend another user.

Mark Hammer

They're really not that much different than 2N3904 or 2N2222 in this application

Plexi

I will try the Ace Tone version. It's almost the same, but I've read that is more compressed.

Derringer

I think I ran a 220 or 330pf cap from collector to base of the final transistor stage of mine for just this purpose

Plexi

That's a good one, Derringer.

Carboncomp; do you have the schematic you used?