The thread of the "another versions"; moded, improved or not.

Started by Plexi, May 27, 2017, 10:56:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plexi

Hi Forum
Another didactic thread (¿)

Let's name the 'original' versions, and then the 'improved'/different (or not) versions.
We can avoid TS  :icon_mrgreen:

The idea is not to create discord, or to brand plagiarism: but to see alternatives and variants on the same design.

I start:

Marshall Guv'nor: EQD Talons.
Zvex SHO: EQD Black Eye.
To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.

EBK

Hmm.  Don't know useful my input will ultimately be to anyone, but here's some more:

Marshall Bluesbreaker: Analogman King of Tone
Marshall Bluesbreaker: JHS Morning Glory
Marshall Bluesbreaker: Madbean 8Ball
Marshall Bluesbreaker: EBK OD Puttanesca (working title...  :icon_wink:)
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

Plexi

EBK

Quote from: Plexi on May 27, 2017, 01:40:58 PM
Timmy od isn't another modded Bluesbreaker?
Don't know.  Maybe.  Haven't looked at that one.
There are a lot more Bluesbreakers than I mentioned, but I imagine some are just unmodded clones.
(I'm trying not to hijack your thread... :icon_wink:)
  • SUPPORTER

Electric Warrior

Maestro FZ1 - Tone Bender MKI (running on 9V, better sustain)
Tone Bender MK1.5 - Arbiter Fuzz Face (biased slightly colder which greatly improves the heat issues; the MK1.5 on the other hand moved from a 500k to a 100k pot early on, which tightened up the bottom end nicely)

nocentelli

I wouldn't say so: They have double diode pairs and use of opamps in common, but the topology is pretty different.
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

ElectricDruid

How "improved" does a fairly standard circuit have to be before it's "different"? :)

T.

Groovenut

No Timmy is basically a high headroom tubescreamer with a rat tone control and a non-inverting opamp output stage.
You've got to love obsolete technology.....

Plexi

Quote from: ElectricDruid on May 27, 2017, 07:49:22 PM
How "improved" does a fairly standard circuit have to be before it's "different"? :)

T.

I use as example the Black Eye, in some way it improved the inconsistent and abrupt "crackle" knob with a fixed trimpot, and used a standard output volumen.
Maybe its a improved modification for some, and others prefer the classic crackle.

Anyway, I think I misunderstood my idea of the thread: is to know some variations/alternatives of some great designs.
Edited title  :)

Big Muff (in general) - Way Huge Swollen Pickle MKI and MKII: a lot of variable resistors and clipping option in this last one.
Big Muff (in general) - Super Collider
Big Muff Ram's Head - Pharaoh

Electra Distortion - EQD Speaker Cranker
Electra Distortion - Lovepedal Champ, Woodrow, JTM, COT50

Timmy OD -  Lovepedal 11 (analyzing what you said earlier)

Guv'nor - Lovepedal Superlead

blackieNYC

Maybe we could help the search function find this stuff by including certain terms like Improved Clone Update Boutique Version. You know, to make this thread of some kind of archival value? 'Zat the idea?
I've wondered about collecting the Final (Verified) Versions of forumite schematics. Sometimes there's a 30 page thread with 8 different schematics drawn by three different people. Since the older drawings can't be modified, updated, or relabeled after a little time has passed.

• SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

EBK

Have you checked out effectsdatabase.com?  You can search for any pedal and it gives you a list of related ones.

On a somewhat related note, it always cracks me up when people claim to hate Tubescreamers, but are in complete denial when you point out that they have a derivative of one on their board.
  • SUPPORTER

Plexi

Voodoo Lab OD: Fulltone OCD

Quote from: EBK on May 28, 2017, 06:20:08 AM
Have you checked out effectsdatabase.com?  You can search for any pedal and it gives you a list of related ones.

On a somewhat related note, it always cracks me up when people claim to hate Tubescreamers, but are in complete denial when you point out that they have a derivative of one on their board.

No; thanks for the data!