Mod a wah pedal to be remote controlled

Started by DieHon, May 28, 2017, 02:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DieHon

Hi guys!

This is my first post here :)

I was trying to find a way to mod a wah pedal and thankfully I found this wonderful forum.

So, this is my objective: I was short in money and needed a wah pedal. I just bought the cheapest one, a EHX weiler wah, hopping to buy a better one in the future. To my surprise, I'm really pleased with the sound of this pedal and want to keep it. However, the cheap thing comes with a price: the build quality isn't great and this thing won't survive for years in a board. Then I had this idea, to put it in the pedal drawer of my rack and control it remotely with an expression pedal.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advice!

GibsonGM

With a "bit" of work, it can be done, I"m sure, but it might prove pretty frustrating...you can convert it to "optical wah", and then use a pedal that output a CV (control voltage) to vary the light's brightness.   It's difficult to get the sweep right in relation to the brightness of an LED, so you won't get that true wah experience.     And you'd have a line going to where the PCB is, of course.

In my opinion, you might be better off finding someone's "dead wah", removing the circuit board, and swapping yours into it with the pot you already have, or one of same value! 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

thermionix

Dr. Keen touched on it in his wah article:

http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/wahpedl/wahped.htm

Scroll down to mods.

Personally, I find it a bit confusing.  The wah is already an expression pedal, why wouldn't you just have the circuit in there too?  Like Mike said, find a deal on a dead Crybaby, they can be found really cheap sometimes, probably much less than a new expression pedal or even wah enclosure.

PRR

> the cheap thing ... won't survive for years in a board.

Remote control is VERY non-trivial. In a Wah it would be a Premium Feature, or massive DIY.

If it is cheap, short life is not a real problem. Buy several. It will be a long time before break-even with a remote wah.
  • SUPPORTER