Is my switch momentary or latching?

Started by slashandburn, May 29, 2017, 03:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slashandburn

I just had a rake in my parts drawer for toggle switches (specifically for a DPDT toggle (on/off/on) for a Big Muff mod.

To my initial amazement I found half a dozen I must've ordered from rapidonline a while back (this one:
https://www.rapidonline.com/salecom-t8012a-sebq-h-dpdt-on-off-on-min-toggle-switch-75-0090)

Trouble is, upon taking them out the packet to check they were labelled correctly I noticed the damn things don't seem to latch. As in, when I flick it away from the center off position it goes right back to the middle when I remove my finger.

I think I've probably solved this already. I've either been sent momentary rather than latching switches, or I ordered momentary switches by accident

I can't see the word "momentary" on the rapid online listing, but then I can't see the word "latching" there either. The link provided is the exact item from my order history.

Assuming the mistake was on my part, how do I avoid buying the wrong switch again?

Ice-9

I can't see anywhere in the datasheet that mentions non latching mech either, it might sound like a silly question but are you pushing the toggle fully over into position (and stay there). While I have seen toggle switches that spring back to the centre position it would be very unusual not to say this in the docs.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

slacker

I'm afraid they're momentary switches, the convention is when there's on or off in brackets, in this case (on) that indicates that it's momentary. These ones are latching https://www.rapidonline.com/salecom-t8012-sebq-h-dpdt-on-off-on-min-toggle-switch-75-0088 and these are one side latching and one side momentary https://www.rapidonline.com/salecom-t8012b-sebq-h-dpdt-on-off-on-min-toggle-switch-75-0089.
It's a bit crap that they don't spell that out anywhere though, even the datasheet makes no mention of it.

slashandburn

Cheers Slacker!

Ah i already firgured it was my own mistake.

Brackets then?   As simple as that?  Slightly frustrating but at least I know now.

So:
(ON)  OFF  (ON)   =   momentary ON positions

ON  OFF   ON   =    Latching ON positions?

I'll remember that if nothing else.

ElectricDruid

You sometimes see (ON) OFF ON too - latching one way but not the other. I've never found a sensible use for such a rare beastie though!

Tom

slashandburn

Quote from: ElectricDruid on May 29, 2017, 05:48:12 PM
You sometimes see (ON) OFF ON too - latching one way but not the other. I've never found a sensible use for such a rare beastie though!

That would be more use to me right now than the half dozen F*$*ers I have that don't latch in either direction.

Hopefully I don't make the same mistake again!

EBK

Buy some SCRs and latch electronically.   :icon_cool:

(Not a very serious answer, but in the distant past, I had fun with those little devices.)
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

highwater

Quote from: ElectricDruid on May 29, 2017, 05:48:12 PM

Tom

Killswitch on a single-coil guitar; non-latching side for stutter, latching side for when you set it down?

Of course, then you have to find a giant copper thing.
"I had an unfortunate combination of a very high-end medium-size system, with a "low price" phono preamp (external; this was the decade when phono was obsolete)."
- PRR

anotherjim

QuoteYou sometimes see (ON) OFF ON too - latching one way but not the other. I've never found a sensible use for such a rare beastie though!
Sequencer reset.
Latch =reset & stop.
Momentary = reset & continue.

Computer. Single-step/stop/run.

EBK

One more example for ON-OFF-(ON): some car headlights.  High beams on / high beams off / (flash high beams)
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

ElectricDruid

Well, I'm awarding you all 10 points each for imagination. :)

T.

bluebunny

We need more pedals with headlights.   :icon_eek:   Just sayin'...
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

slashandburn

Fullbeam might make a good name for a booster pedal.

If these switches were easier to control with you feet then they might be handy for stutter or tremolo effects, I dunno. Glitch delay type stuff, maybe. Being mini toggles I guess their mostly useless for our purposes. Shame.