Whats this noise? (when bypassed, oscillates when controls are moved) Video Incl

Started by steveyraff, May 30, 2017, 03:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveyraff

Well, with all this operating, its finally died... completely. The switch over heated with all the re-wiring and one of the lugs has came loose. Of course, that was switch No.20 in the last batch of 20 I bought. So I'll have to wait for my new switches to arrive. When they do, I'll try the other wiring guide and see if that helps.

Thanks all for your help and advice.
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

EBK

• SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

Ben Lyman

I had the same problem with a fuzz pedal last year and switched to this for all my builds:
"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

steveyraff

Quote from: EBK on May 31, 2017, 11:52:40 AM
:icon_eek:
Next time, let it cool a bit before soldering each lug.

Built literally 100's of pedals to date. First time it ever happened. I wasn't soldering a lug. I was trying to de-solder a lug. The wire was snagged and I pulled with a little too much tension. The lug became loosey goosey. First time for everything. Unfortunately, today is the first time for everything to go wrong...
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

EBK

Ah, I see. Sorry that happened to you, especially without a spare switch around.   :icon_frown:
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

steveyraff

Quote from: EBK on May 31, 2017, 03:53:10 PM
Ah, I see. Sorry that happened to you, especially without a spare switch around.   :icon_frown:

Its been a day of disasters, trust me. This pedal is just one of many things that has went wrong. I run a recording studio as a day job and my main computer that runs the place decided to die during a session too. Then for some reason the charger for the Macbook I'm using to chit chat with you guys decided to also die and I had to run out and pay a fortune for a new one.

I'm off to the pub!

Cheers for all the help guys. Switches might arrive tomorrow and I'll send updates on my progress. Knowing my luck, they'll not arrive to later in the week!
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

steveyraff

Hey guys,

Thats amazing. I was being stubborn and was sure such a noise couldn't be remedied via the 'grounded input' wiring scheme. I think I was mostly being stubborn because other builds haven't had that problem.

Anyway, needless to say, you guys were spot on. Changed the wiring and its completely cured it.

Thanks all! I'll build my pedals to that wiring guide from now on!

Steve.
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

thermionix