Beginner question about switch wiring -- SOLVED

Started by jonboper, May 31, 2017, 12:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonboper

I've been trying to answer this for myself but my searches are sending me down advanced rabbit holes when I need a For Dummies answer: I'm building a Rullywow TS8oh8 and the Build Document doesn't show how to wire the switches - not the 3pdt, the spdt/dpdts.

Here is a picture of my build so far:

And here is a link to the Build Doc:

http://www.rullywow.com/build_docs/TS8oh8%20v2.pdf

From what I've found I think the "Fat" and "Bright" switches go to an inner and outer pole, and the "Clip" goes to all 3 poles, but does it matter which wire connects to which pole (the square outline vs. round)?

I know this is basic beyond belief...

EBK

Let's sort out one quick issue first: poles and throws.  The word "pole" has a special meaning when talking about switch configuration.  More specifically, the center terminal on each of your switches is a pole, but the two outer terminals are throws.  I'm only mentioning this because I was briefly confused by your question.  :icon_wink:

As for whether it matters, if you use the wrong terminals, your switch will operate in reverse from what you expect.  When you flip a toggle switch upward, the lower two terminals will be connected, and when you flip it downward, the upper two terminals will be connected.

I'm slowly loading up that build doc....

The doc says FAT adds extra bass when these pads are connected.  If you want that to happen when your toggle is up, then connect the two pads on the board to the center and bottom terminals of the switch (doesn't matter which terminal, center or bottom, goes to which pad in this case -- it's just being used as ON/OFF).

BRIGHT adds extra treble when these pads are NOT connected.  If you want extra treble with the toggle in the up position, then connect the center and TOP switch terminals to those pads (they worded this one in a slightly tricky way).

CLIP will switch between two sets of clipping diodes.  You can wire that up any way you want, but my general preference is to make the louder option corresponding to the toggle being up.  Of course, center switch terminal goes to center pad on the board.

Feel free to ask more questions if this doesn't clear it up for you.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

jonboper

Thanks EBK, that's perfectly clear. They should have hired you to write the build doc...

EBK

Well, that makes us both happy.  Glad I could help.  :icon_cool:
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.