Help verifying vero layout

Started by iiturrate, May 31, 2017, 06:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iiturrate

Hi,

I'm new to this place, but I've been building pedals for a while.

I've made my own vero layout for mac's Silicon Tonebender MkI v2 (http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=101610.20), but my pedal is not working.

I was wondering if any of you would care to help me verify my vero layout, in case it is that. I don't seem to find any inconsistencies between my build and the layout, so it is likely that the issue is on the layout. I've gone through it a million times, but another set of eyes would be helpful.

Here is the vero layout I made:

And this is the schematic I'm working off of:

Thank you very much beforehand!

MrStab

hi iiturrate, welcome aboard!

i looked over it once, and it seems to be okay, but maybe there's something i didn't spot.

those trace cuts are really tiny, are you definitely reading no continuity between them? it's better to use a small drill bit to remove a whole hole, if possible. if you're using DIY Layout Creator, double-click on the trace cut, and de-select "Cut between holes" to enable this option. sorry if you already knew that.

maybe it's a transistor-specific problem. one of the fuzz pros round here will have to advise on that, i don't really build them myself. photo of the top and bottom of the board could be helpful, if you're still stuck after a while.
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

iiturrate

I have checked for continuity between cuts, and there is none. In fact, I have check for continuity all over the place, and I can't seem to find any shorts.

I didn't know about that option on DIY layout creator, thanks! I don't mind the tiny cuts, though, I think they look cleaner and they also save quite a bit of space. But, then again, this is my first vero layout...

The transistors are also correctly biased, according to the measurements found in the schematic/original thread.

However, when I plug the pedal in, I get no output, except for a very loud hum.

I'll have a better look at it over the weekend, and try to find other issues, and also come back with pictures. Any help is appreciated, though!

thermionix

Maybe it's just me, my computer, or my browser, but I can't see the images (vero layout and schematic) you put in the first post.  Did you remove them somehow?

Cozybuilder

iiturrate-
Please post clear photos of your build, front and back, and maybe one of us can spot something to help you with this. The photos tell a lot more than descriptions.
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

duck_arse

hmmm. I couldn't see images in the page either. I copied the img url, then removed the "s" in https, and it showed me a page and image, here:

geeze, I've got no idea of this postimg joint. I followed the link, took me to a page with ads and an image, I copied the image address and pasted between mona's sweet cheeks, and here it is:

[img]https://s17.postimg.org/dyc4mc7kv/Tonebender_Mk_I_Silicon.png[/img]

but now we want to see those "what I've actually built" pics, like cozy says, we'll probably have to do it all over again.

also, I think you are missing a cut between the 100pF and the 100pF, at L/M + D.
don't make me draw another line.

iiturrate

Quote from: duck_arse on June 01, 2017, 11:17:41 AM
also, I think you are missing a cut between the 100pF and the 100pF, at L/M + D.

The cut is there, it's just hard to see (and the letters should be reversed in the bottom cut view, as in, A should be in the bottom).

I'll get some pictures as soon as I get some time. I just wanted to discard the layout itself as a source of errors - now I know that it is something in my build that is wrong, and not my layout.

Thank you very much!

Cozybuilder

It looks like your "cut" view is a mirror image of the "component" view, flipped down. If that is what you intended, then you need to relabel the vertical axis.

Edit-
Like you just posted. Never mind.
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

duck_arse

interesting. I think this is the first vero I've seen mirrored on the horizon.
don't make me draw another line.

DrAlx

Unnecessary break at J,LM in top picture (which is confusingly labelled B,LM in bottom picture due to letters not being mirrored). Other than that it is fine (I checked using my own vero software).

iiturrate

Thank you very, very much to all of you who took the time to verify my layout.

And I apologize for not having mirrored the letters in the bottom view. The layout was never meant to be shared with anyone.

Here are some pictures of the top and bottom of my actual build:

thermionix

Dig the wire.  I use that in amp builds.  I like to soak it in hot parafin wax first, keeps the fraying to a minimum, also helps prevent future moisture retention.

iiturrate

Quote from: thermionix on June 03, 2017, 03:10:08 PM
Dig the wire.  I use that in amp builds.  I like to soak it in hot parafin wax first, keeps the fraying to a minimum, also helps prevent future moisture retention.

I like working with cloth-covered wire, because I find it easier to work with and cleaner. Thanks for the tip! I might try that in the future.

MrStab

i don't really like touching cloth, personally.
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

thermionix

Quote from: iiturrate on June 03, 2017, 05:02:36 PM
Quote from: thermionix on June 03, 2017, 03:10:08 PM

I like working with cloth-covered wire, because I find it easier to work with and cleaner. Thanks for the tip! I might try that in the future.

Yeah the no-stripping and no-melting is great.  I should have said "absorption" rather than "retention" but you know what I mean.  More important for high voltage circuits than pedals.  Maybe the wax adds to the dielectric strength too, I don't know.

Quote from: MrStab on June 03, 2017, 11:51:07 PM
i don't really like touching cloth, personally.

You must be difficult to shop for.

iiturrate

Ok, so I had some time to play around with it and try to debug it, and I got it to work. I actually don't know what was wrong with it. I tried different transistors and it was suddenly working, so it would seem like the original transistors I put in were faulty, but they all seemed to read fine, so I am confused...

Anyway it works now and sounds pretty amazing, although I still need to dial it in, and try it with my big rig.

Thanks to everybody for taking the time to help! :)