Project based on guvnor

Started by sominka, June 01, 2017, 03:25:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sominka

Hi
I'm still learning but would this possibly work. I haven't breadboarded it yet.

GibsonGM

With a quick glance, it does look like it will work  :)  But, you need to change the point marked "VR" on the output boost transistor to 9V.

Take R8 to 4.5V instead of ground....you may need a resistor between VR and 2nd opamp stage's "+" input, too....10k maybe...but it is probably ok either way.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

ElectricDruid

What's the point of C5?

Looks to me like it's unnecessary, since the 220n already acts as a DC blocker. Or is it there as tone shaping? (in which case, how?)

Thanks,
Tom

nocentelli

Quote from: ElectricDruid on June 01, 2017, 06:15:55 PM
What's the point of C5?

Looks to me like it's unnecessary, since the 220n already acts as a DC blocker...

It's a remnant of the original bypass schematic where the output of the first opamp is muted by being grounded after the 10k but the input remains connected to the guitar during bypass.
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

antonis

On the original pedal, one pole of bypass switch was right after R4 (10k) grounding the output of IC1_A..

edit: leo is faster..!!  :icon_wink:

<Take R8 to 4.5V instead of ground>
Can't follow you, Sir..!!  :icon_redface:

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

GibsonGM

Quote from: antonis on June 02, 2017, 03:54:14 AM

<Take R8 to 4.5V instead of ground>
Can't follow you, Sir..!!  :icon_redface:

Yes, another UH OH!  :)    Leave R8 alone...just connect the transistor collector to 9V.

It will bias fine with R8 to ground!!!     
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

sominka

Thank you all for your advice.

antonis

<It will bias fine with R8 to ground!!!>

More than fine, I should say, but NOT with current R10/R11 values.. 

Q1 should act as "recovery" stage with no more gain than on tonestack "lost" one..
(OK, maybe with a little bit more..)  :icon_wink:

Despite the above, current resistor values result in Collector bias at 3V which isn't close to "optimum"..
A 2k7 value for R11 should settle things closer to my preferance (*)

(*) Closer to yours should be a MosFet booster, of course, so I'm very anxious about chatter resumption.. :icon_redface: 
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

GibsonGM

Really, if you got rid of the transistor and used a Mosfet boost....  :) 

Yes, thank you, Antonis - the guvnor project should work well now! 
  • SUPPORTER

sominka

Well this works really well. It's a metal monster. I used yellow LEDs for the clipping and 200k for the Treb as I didn't have a 250k.
2n222A for the transistor.

Thanks for all your help.