3 foot switchs on a 1590xx enclosure

Started by navin, June 13, 2017, 06:51:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GGBB

You can export to PDF from GIMP, and then import the PDF in Inkscape. Then ungroup the imported object to separate the layers into individual objects.
  • SUPPORTER

navin

Quote from: GGBB on August 20, 2017, 03:18:00 PM
You can export to PDF from GIMP, and then import the PDF in Inkscape. Then ungroup the imported object to separate the layers into individual objects.

I tried this and I get the message that the process failed and that

"Plug-in crashed: "file-pdf-save.exe"
(C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins\file-pdf-save.exe)

The dying plug-in may have messed up GIMP's internal state. You may want to save your images and restart GIMP to be on the safe side."

deadastronaut, GIMP cannot export to BMP (bitmap) so I cannot create a bitmap image for Inkscape to import.

Edit: After a few experiments I managed to export the GIMP file of the Pedal Artwork  to EPS and import in Inkscape all 3 files (an EPS file of the Pedal artwork with the knobs and foot switches created in Google Layout/Sketchup, and the 2 EPS files of the Hardware and Knobs).

I can however easily Export a NEW GIMP file without the knobs and switches from GIMP to EPS. But then I cannot tell the exact position of the knobs and switches.

How do I ungroup the GIMP file (now in EPS)? I was able to ungroup the EPS files of the knobs and hardware but not that of the Pedal artwork.

Thanks.

GGBB

I'm guessing that Gimp exports each layer as a separate object, so once in Inkscape you can only un-group the object if you exported more than one layer. You would need to put all your objects in separate layers in Gimp if you want to work with them separately in Inkscape.
  • SUPPORTER

navin

Quote from: GGBB on August 21, 2017, 04:56:52 PM
I'm guessing that Gimp exports each layer as a separate object, so once in Inkscape you can only un-group the object if you exported more than one layer. You would need to put all your objects in separate layers in Gimp if you want to work with them separately in Inkscape.

I thought the same but apparently not. I do have separate layers for the knobs and switches but they do not ungroup in Inkscape. I have a ton of work today so maybe tomorrow I will Google and experiment a bit more then post any progress here.

Many thanks for your help GGBB and co.

navin

Quote from: GGBB on August 21, 2017, 04:56:52 PM

I was unable to "ungroup" the GIMP layers so I did the next best thing. I imported a GIMP file into Inkscape without the knobs and switches and LEDs and approximated the locations. Then I used Inkscape the align and equi-space the knobs and switches (vertically and horizontally). But for reasons I don't know when I save it to PNG I loose the switches.

So I imported the SVG file into GIMP and saved it as JPG and got this.

GGBB

I'm not sure what exactly you are doing, and I have no idea how you managed to import EPS files into Inkscape because mine doesn't let me do that and I just installed the latest version. The layer thing works from GIMP when you export to PDF, not sure about other file formats. Not sure how you import GIMP files (XCF) either because I also can't do that.

What you could do is simply export each layer separately from GIMP to PNG - just open the layers view and make each one visible by itself then export one at a time. Then import each layer file into Inkscape. You'll probably have to align them as well and optionally separate them into separate layers.

When you export from Inkscape, make sure you select drawing or page (and make sure the page is as big as the drawing or it will be clipped - use document properties -> resize page to drawing or selection for that). If you click export while an object is selected, the export pre-selects "selection" instead of drawing or page and then that's all that will be exported.
  • SUPPORTER

navin

Quote from: GGBB on August 23, 2017, 09:07:19 PM
I'm not sure what exactly you are doing, and I have no idea how you managed to import EPS files into Inkscape because mine doesn't let me do that and I just installed the latest version.

The layer thing works from GIMP when you export to PDF, not sure about other file formats. Not sure how you import GIMP files (XCF) either because I also can't do that.

What you could do is simply export each layer separately from GIMP to PNG - just open the layers view and make each one visible by itself then export one at a time. Then import each layer file into Inkscape. You'll probably have to align them as well and optionally separate them into separate layers.

When you export from Inkscape, make sure you select drawing or page (and make sure the page is as big as the drawing or it will be clipped - use document properties -> resize page to drawing or selection for that). If you click export while an object is selected, the export pre-selects "selection" instead of drawing or page and then that's all that will be exported.

Ok what I did was to use the "Export As" function in GIMP to Export the Graphics files to a .EPS file. I did this twice once for the file with the locations of the knobs and switches and once for a file without. So I had 2 EPS files from GIMP.

Then I "Imported" these EPS files in Inkscape and it opened (I think you have to install Ghostscript and change some paths for it to work). Then I also "imported" the "knobs" and "hardware" EPS files into Inkscape.

Then I "Ungrouped" the knobs and hardware files in Inkscape and extracted the knobs and hardware I needed (I had to regroup the individual parts for each knob and switch).

Then using the graphics file with the knob and switch locations as a guide I edited the graphics file without the knobs and switches and added the "ungrouped" knobs and switches to the EPS file in Inkscape.

Then I imported this modified EPS file with all the knobs and switches into GIMP and Exported as JPG, PNG, PDF etc...

Hope this helps.

GGBB

Quote from: navin on August 31, 2017, 02:25:16 AM
Then I imported this modified EPS file with all the knobs and switches into GIMP and Exported as JPG, PNG, PDF etc...

You can export directly to PNG from Inskcape. Plus GIMP can import SVG files. Unless you are using postscript to print, EPS is kind of pointless when SVG can be used.

Too bad the PDF export didn't work for you - that would have made the whole process a lot easier. Next time you might want to try using ps2pdf that comes with Ghostscript to convert from EPS or PS to PDF so that you can just get your whole GIMP file into one PDF and then open it in Inkscape.
  • SUPPORTER