Madbean Current Love Electric Mistress build oscillator noise.

Started by RRJackson, June 20, 2017, 10:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RRJackson

This isn't specific to the Madbean build. I have this gripe with most modulation effects. I really like the sound this circuit makes in the lows and in the midrange, but then I can hear the sweep up in the highs and it annoys me. Like I said, I find the same fault with most modulation effects, so this isn't a gripe about the Madbean version of this circuit. I call it the, "Pennywhistle Effect." Is there any way to limit that high frequency swishyness? I'd just love it if the whistling wasn't audible.

-Rob

PRR

> Is there any way to limit that high frequency swishyness?

Get a totally different delay device. I am still astonished that the bucket chips are in use today. 1,024 or so bits, when my dumb-phone's little ringer has mega-bits.

You can severely low-pass the output. On full speech/music this sounds un-natural. It may be useful for some guitar sounds.
  • SUPPORTER

Fender3D

Quote from: RRJackson on June 20, 2017, 10:21:45 PM
...I can hear the sweep up in the highs and it annoys me....

You're not relative with Batman, are you?
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

RRJackson

The thing is, I've tried putting it in an effects return and rolling off the highs while mixing it with a clean signal. Mixing it with a clean signal doesn't sound good to me, BTW. Rolling off the highs sounds terrible, too. I like the effected high frequency content, but I don't want to hear the whistle of the oscillator.

Some modulation effects avoid that, but not many. The old Maestro phaser was great for that. I own the Heptode copy of that circuit and it's my favorite modulation effect. I just wish I could get the same kind of thing to happen with the Electric Mistress circuit, because I love what it does other than that.

Quote from: PRR on June 21, 2017, 01:17:41 AM
> Is there any way to limit that high frequency swishyness?

Get a totally different delay device. I am still astonished that the bucket chips are in use today. 1,024 or so bits, when my dumb-phone's little ringer has mega-bits.

You can severely low-pass the output. On full speech/music this sounds un-natural. It may be useful for some guitar sounds.

DrAlx

I have an EM clone similar to the Madbean CL and I wouldn't say it "whistled".
If I don't play anything through the effect then I can hear "swish" but that is just the peaks & notches in the flanger's frequency response filtering the noise.  It's not the LFO that the problem.  It's just part of the price of using a noisy component like a BBD to produce a delay.