Wiring Fuzz and OD into one circuit/pedal

Started by WolfCathedral, June 21, 2017, 12:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WolfCathedral

Hey Guys,

For my next build im wanting to do a fuzz face but want to add a gain stage in the front to boost it a bit. Basically I want to take a Sunn model T OD(having it always on) and run that into a fuzz face circuit. Is it as simple as running from my input jack to Sunn OD board IN, and from Sunn OD board out to Fuzz face board IN, and from Fuzz face board out to output jack?

I dont need to be able to have them switchable, just want an always on boost before the fuzz face. Also, will I just split the 9v jack to both boards?

Thanks!

robthequiet

Um, yeah. FF's typically don't like to be boosted or buffered, but there's nothing wrong with just building two separate pedals so that you can run one into the other, and hopefully get a good sound.

Which schematic were you going to use for your Model T?

antonis

Of course, it's always a matter of taste, but better place OD after the FF..

I don't know about Sunn model T OD (only for respective amplifier series..) so its placement in relation to FF depends if there is some kind of tone adjustment in it..

But again, as above, some guys prefer tone filtering after distortion and some don't...
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

GibsonGM

You could build the FF, then use a MOSFET BOOST after it!  ;)   If you set it up so it can switch in and out, it can act as a boost for solos....

As the others said, it is ok to make a circuit and try different arrangements before you commit...put a boost/OD in FRONT of the FF, after it...see what you like! 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

antonis

"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

GibsonGM

You do know that I own stock in Mosfet boosts, don't you, Antonis??  :)  :)  :)
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

robthequiet

So I am having trouble finding a stompbox schematic for the Model T except that Earthquaker Devices put out the Acapulco Gold pedal that seems to be two stacked 386 audio amps. This video demo by Brett Kingman to me says that any pedal attached to it will be completely overwhelmed. To get something like that I would head more towards a beefed up BMP clone to combine with another pedal.

Edit: Not to say that the Model T would not be a righteous pedal to build in its own right. There does seem to be a layout floating around on the internet, might be worth trying.

www.youtube.com/embed/eMJb-obU4Vo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="1"

WolfCathedral

Thanks all! For the Model T im using Fuzzdogs Sunny T circuit. That will have its own input gain, and volume pots, and then running that into the fuzz face circuit(fuzzdogs as well). Wanted to wire them to one stomp switch. Anyone know if it would be better to wire them parallel or in series?

WolfCathedral

Ill definitely try it after the fuzz face too. Just assumed it would sound good as having a FF running through a cranked Model T. Might be better the other way around though since I know FF are picky with stacking. Ill be doin a Si one btw.

blackieNYC

Parallel would be a whole different matter. A split, then a mix. Could be very cool, and you could do switching to do order switching, series or parallel- but be careful with "mission creep".  Stay on target.
Do you breadboard?  Try a boost before and after the fuzz before you commit.
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

WolfCathedral

good point! I  havent breadboarded this type yet. Probably should though. Just didnt know if I should have each circuit running into the same switch independently or just have them in series from one another. Thanks for all the feedback...ill be sure to post results!

antonis

Quote from: blackieNYC on June 23, 2017, 11:30:05 AM
Parallel would be a whole different matter. A split, then a mix.
And maybe a phase reversal..
(with 50% odds..)