Help with a vintage violin bass wiring!

Started by jackson_pollock, June 27, 2017, 11:31:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackson_pollock

Hi, first of all thanks to you guys , this is my first post here; I never needed to ask for anything 'cause I always find my answers just diggin' the forum...however I'm really puzzled now and I need some help (please)!
I've bought an unknown italian violin bass  ('60s maybe),the tone pot is missing and the image shows what is left. What bothers me is the identical value of the 2 free capacitors, was it a pot or a selector? Do I really need to restore the original wiring? There's also a resistor on the neck pickup and a capacitor on the bridge: does it make sense to you?

Any help would be appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!

mac

Hi,

It's hard to guess, but the whole things looks like a passive filter.

Given the name, violin bass, the series resistor and cap looks like the input, and the equal caps a treble cut.

*Maybe* the two equal capacitors were connected to a switch or pot to shunt highs to gnd.
If that was the case,
- what kind of switch, to let you use one cap, both caps or none?
- if it was a pot, what value? Was pin 1 connected to gnd, pin 2 to one cap and pin 3 to the other one?

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

jackson_pollock

Hi, thanks for the reply! The wiring I found is as you can see in the schem and the 2 capacitors are tied togheter to the same lug of volume pot, there are three lugs free , 2 from the other end of caps and one to earth. The only thing I can think is that there was a swich to make "no caps/1 cap to earth/2 caps in parallel to earth" but that would make a pretty limited tone control!
The switch for pick up is a very old three way, the contacts are exposed so you can clearly see the way it works.
Anyway, here's the baby (I still have to clean the glue used to repair the cracks on top body):

*With the caps on lug 2 & 3 of a pot and the other to earth what would happen?