NOS vs. manu refurb?

Started by niftyprose, June 27, 2017, 01:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

niftyprose

Hi guys, the subject line says it all. I'm looking to build a pedal around an obsolete IC. The chip is readily available but many of the suppliers are listing as 'manufacturer refurbished' and others as 'new old stock'. The latter typically costs twice as much. Questions:

1. I know that chips don't wear out, but I'm guessing that pulling them out of a built-up device might cause problems down the line. Anyone have any thoughts about this?

2. Human nature being what it is, some of those 'NOS' chips actually aren't. Any advice, apart from the obvious caveat emptor?

Best, NP

blackieNYC

1. You've got a known working IC. Given proper static handling.  Your problems, if any, will be immediate!
2. Have you checked the pedal-market-specific dealers here?
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

ElectricDruid

What the hell is a "manufacturer refurbished" chip? How do you "refurbish" a chip? Polish each of the legs with a toothbrush?!

NOS I understand, but the other sounds like nonsense. Is it a euphemism for "pulled"? Spade = handheld manual digging implement?

Tom

R.G.

In the immortal words of William Jefferson Clinton, it depends on what your definition of the word "is" is.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

bluebunny

Quote from: ElectricDruid on June 27, 2017, 04:27:07 PM
Spade = handheld manual digging implement?

I always understood that a spade was an earth-inverting horticultural instrument.   :icon_biggrin:

(As you were...)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

niftyprose

Well, with spades knocking about the discussion, let's say that, in the case of ICs, "manufacturer refurbished" == "pulled". How bad a thing is "pulled"? Should I avoid? NP

ElectricDruid

It would depend on when it was pulled and how. I've seen manufactured boards that subsequently became obsolete get chips stripped off them for resale. If they were socketed, those would be pretty much as good as new - unused and never soldered.

I've also seen old synth chips pulled from dead instruments. An example is Polysix battery leakage, which kills the main processor board, and then people strip the valuable SSM2056 envelopes and SSM2044 filters off the voice board. These chips might well have been in use for twenty+ years. They're expensive chips and getting very hard to find, so if you needed one, you might not have any choice, but they wouldn't be recommended for reliability.

Finally, I suppose it's possible someone might try to sell chips that had been desoldered. I've never seen this personally, but I'd stay well away.

HTH,
Tom

nick d

" Pulled Pork " is very popular at the moment . The main thing about it seems  be is that is overcooked  , then ripped to bit using two forks . Says it all , really .

GGBB

Pulled out of sockets would be one thing. Pulled (desoldered) out of board holes is another thing entirely. A friend of mine desolders using a blow torch followed by a strong smacking of the board. May sound extreme, until you try desoldering 8 or more legs of a part in a cost efficient way. The only way someone is going to sell quantities of "refurbished" ICs that had been soldered is if the desoldering process is fast.
  • SUPPORTER

ElectricDruid

Sounds about right. We used to use a heat gun at work, which is only marginally more polite. Either way (heat gun/blow torch) I wouldn't go near unsoldered chips.

Tom