SPDT to DPDT conversion via daughterboard?

Started by lborl, July 03, 2017, 07:18:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lborl

So this is actually for a bit of guitar wiring I'm planning but essentially, I wanted one of those flat blade toggle switches to trigger an extra guitar pickup on and off, and mostly they're ridiculously overpriced but I just got 5 SPDT on/off/on ones nice and cheap from a model railway supplier.  I figured with the extra on position I could put the pickup into phase reverse by just attaching a little daughterboard, either on vero or perf, something like:

But would that work? I'm guessing I'd have to connect the rows horizontally, certainly in the middle position, but how about the top and bottom ones? Or am I just barking up the wrong tree altogether and it isn't possible at all?

duck_arse

hello lborl and welcome to the forum.

as I always say, when dealing with switching problems - draw the circuit. many things become clear when you draw the internals correctly. a yellow box with some lugs tells us nothing about connection possibilities.

are your switches single pole double throw, or double pole double throw?
don't make me draw another line.

lborl

Hi and thanks. Sorry I wasn't clear. I thought I'd drawn quite a nice little diagram as well there  :-\ Basically it's single pole double throw switch, ON-OFF-ON.

The yellow box was supposed to represent a bit of vero or perfboard through which the three lugs of the SPDT switch are connected in the centre: the rest of the wiring around it is the usual phase reverse circuit as you'd normally wire up on a DPDT switch (input from pickup one end, crossover hot and ground, middle lugs to ground and output). I wondered if it was possible to use some offboard wiring to turn a the SPDT switch into DPDT one.

The more I think about it though that probably isn't possible at all though is it, because of course if you link those crossed wires of the phase switch to either lug of the switch it's just shorting out the circuit. Sorry, I'm being pretty dense today

EBK

Welcome!  I'm just happy to see a picture in first post.   :icon_biggrin:
Sadly, yes, I believe what you are after is not possible. 
However, some of those 5-way switches that you considered overpriced are capable of marvelous combinations!

Have you considered push-pull pots for switching?  Another world of possibilities there.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

lborl

Thanks. No it's ok I've ordered some simpler on/on switch and I'll just skip the phase reverse on that pup - I already have that on the neck pickup anyway alongside series/parallel and a coil tap on the bridge. I'm just obsessed with needlessly over-complicating guitars for some reason

Plexi

It would work only if the sqitch there is 3pdt.
Am I wrong, or I only see cables and switch connected to nowere.
To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.

robthequiet

QuoteSo this is actually for a bit of guitar wiring I'm planning but essentially, I wanted one of those flat blade toggle switches to trigger an extra guitar pickup on and off, and mostly they're ridiculously overpriced but I just got 5 SPDT on/off/on ones nice and cheap from a model railway supplier.  I figured with the extra on position I could put the pickup into phase reverse by just attaching a little daughterboard, either on vero or perf, something like:

Look into the Nashville wiring method and use switch instead of pot, or go with pot for a cool blend effect.