News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Maxon OD808

Started by nonoxxx, July 06, 2017, 04:36:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nonoxxx

Hello ,
I was taking a look at the Maxon Od 808 schematic  and noticed that the filter in  the feedback loop is reversed in comparison with the ts9 /ts808.v ( for what I know the 4.7k and the 50 nf forms a low pass instead of  an high pass).
Is this an error on this schematic ?
(on the vero board layout from tagboardeffects it's the same)

thanks

Fender3D

It does not matter which comes first, when you have 2 passives in series ;)

"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

antonis

Nothing wrong on schematic..  :icon_wink:

The only difference between TubeScreamer & OD808 in that filter is connection to GND vs Vbias..

Despite components order, R+C (or C+R) in series form the same kind of filter..
(which here is a High Pass one in the mean of: the higher the frequency -> the lower the capacitor reactance -> the more the current flowing through 4k7 resistor - the more the gain...)

edit: Federico is faster..!!
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

nonoxxx

Quote from: antonis on July 06, 2017, 05:54:00 AM
Nothing wrong on schematic..  :icon_wink:

(which here is a High Pass one in the mean of: the higher the frequency -> the lower the capacitor reactance -> the more the current flowing through 4k7 resistor - the more the gain...)

edit: Federico is faster..!!

Thanks a lot, so the maxon at the end have less gain ?

antonis

Quote from: nonoxxx on July 06, 2017, 06:21:13 AM
so the maxon at the end have less gain ?
At the end of what..??

OD808 & TS have the same NFB loop arrangement with same cap/pot/resistor values..
Considering both 1458 & 4558 behave in the same manner, it shouldn't be any difference in gain..

Even the HPFs at both OD808 & TS non-inverting inputs are the same (1μF cap, 10k bias resistor & 2 X10k voltage divider resistors) although we shouldn't deal with signal input when dealing with gain as a measure of Vout/Vin..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

nonoxxx

Ok ,it was the phrase i quoted that confused me ( i am french and my English is not really good ) :)

antonis

No problem..

I'm Greek and my French are by far worse than your English.. :icon_biggrin:

To make things clear: You can consider both OD808 & TSsomething almost identical..
(at least, about the distortion stage..)

Mark Hammer

Le sequence des deux composantes fait aucun difference.

Fender3D

^^
...now I must say parbleu!

:icon_mrgreen:

POTL

Hi
A few months ago I was assembling a screamer, and also asked this question)
How to connect VB or GND correctly?
If there is a possibility worth trying, the level of overdrive will be different
If my memory does not lie to me, then when connected to ground overdrive was more powerful, and when connected to VB less tangible.

nonoxxx

theorically, you can use both , with no modifications in sound. I have tested it and don't find any differences

duck_arse

ahh, I spotted tantalum. that might be the difference in who puts to V/2 and who to ground. to ground, the tant can never be reverse, whereas if it is taken to V/2 bias, the (+) lead might go less than (-) lead, which tantalums don't tolerate. IF it were a poly cap instead, it would not matter where it was referenced, an electro might not like it, but wouldn't up and dies because of a little reverse polarity.
don't make me draw another line.

nonoxxx

Quote from: duck_arse on July 06, 2017, 11:36:53 AM
ahh, I spotted tantalum. that might be the difference in who puts to V/2 and who to ground. to ground, the tant can never be reverse, whereas if it is taken to V/2 bias, the (+) lead might go less than (-) lead, which tantalums don't tolerate. IF it were a poly cap instead, it would not matter where it was referenced, an electro might not like it, but wouldn't up and dies because of a little reverse polarity.

Personnaly for these kind of values (0.220uf) , I use film caps :D 

nonoxxx

So what is the hype about this pedal over a ts9 or TS808 ? a lot of guy's tell that i'ts better for hign gains than regular TS (ibanez)

the only differences I see is the Opamps buffers (I don't  think itchange the sound) , I will try  to calculate the output impedance

Mark Hammer

The difference between the TS9 and TS808 lies entirely in the output impedance, which can be good in some contexts, and make no difference in others.

nonoxxx

yes I know, the two output resistor, my interrogation was for the Maxon OD808, I heard a lot of people said that the maxon is better :)

Fender3D

^^
a lot of people believe electronics is a miracle too... :)

edy_wheazel

As it was already said above, nothing wrong there. I build it from this exact schematic and it works fine.