Wiring Tips/Videos ?

Started by Barracuda, July 08, 2017, 11:07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barracuda

I've built around 5-6 pedals so far, but had problems the first time I test any of them. I've looked at loads of images and what not, but not a lot relates to what I am doing at the minute, since I am using stripboard. I'm also using stranded wire as I hear its probably the best for pedal building, but somehow my projects always get messy, I think its due to having to wire up potentiometers and the footswitch(s). I'm really just looking for anything that can help my builds be neater and more reliable, and most importantly work first time. Are there certain brands of wire you use? How do you go about bending/positioning your wires in the enclosure? What order do you do it in? I learn best with photos/videos, so if any of you guys have good links for me, hook us up!

Thanks!

duck_arse

hey Barra - I say this to just about everybody, but - show us some pics of what you've built is causing you trubbles, we might be able to point out some glaring - erm - ?issues? also, when you say they cause probs on first test, what sort of problems are you having? if we can spot something common in yr builds/problems, maybe you can correct your process.
don't make me draw another line.

EBK

Here's the wire I use (lots of us here use this stuff, actually):
http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/24-pre-bond-50-ft-sampler/

As far as keeping things neat, I usually measure my wire by routing it where it needs to go before cutting it to length.  Heat shrink tubing is also great for grouping wires (for a pot or switch, for example).
Some folks use small zip ties to hold wires neatly together too.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

Barracuda

So here's my latest one, you can probably tell its quite amateur, and I made a few mistakes as this is a custom design (like most of my pedals) this was the first attempt at it anyhow.
I think my problem is I need to plan/prepare more, and find a good way to stick stripboard solidly into place, I tried velcro, but it doesn't seem to stick to the back of the stripboard. Maybe because of all the lumps of solder/leg ends. Believe it or not this is 22awg wire, but the insulation seems very thick.

I'm just looking to make it look neater and more sturdy

EBK

Quote from: Barracuda on July 08, 2017, 01:50:53 PM
and find a good way to stick stripboard solidly into place, I tried velcro, but it doesn't seem to stick to the back of the stripboard. Maybe because of all the lumps of solder/leg ends.
Get some double stick foam tape.
  • SUPPORTER

EBK

Wow! That is massively thick insulation!  :icon_eek:

Better wire will give you instant improvement, I think.  :icon_wink:
Right now, it looks like your biggest problem is that your wire is not flexible enough.
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

well. I'd say some soldering practice, from the look of the terminal joints. lighter/more flexy wire, it will be easier to bend to your will. cut shorter the leads that don't need length, like the led. and use the lightest wire you can find for non-important things, like leds (or for everything, if you prefer).

do you solder to the jacks while they are box-mounted? it is easier to make a dummy (cardboard or similar) front panel, with the holes for parts at least close to accurate, then mount the parts and solder the wires, it will be much easier without the box sides in the way getting.

for that board in that box, you could wrap it in some plastic sheet or similar, and then foam-pack it to stop it moving.
don't make me draw another line.