Some help/advice please

Started by Beerrhino, July 14, 2017, 12:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beerrhino

I've built pedals from kits (BYOC) and I just decided to try and take schematics and build a fuzz based solely on that.  I picked an easy one to start: http://www.seymourduncan.com/tonefiend/wp-content/uploads/DIY-Club-Project-2-v02.pdf
I have it breadboarded and it works...sorta.  When I switch the fuzz on it almost sounds like it has a gate on it.  I need to hit the strings pretty hard to get a fuzz tone out of it.  The fuzz effect will fade out while the clean guitar signal remains.  If I'm just playing single note lines I don't get any fuzz unless I'm really smacking the strings.  I've compared my breadboard to the schematic a hundred times, everything is wired correctly, and I've tried several different types of transistors...same result.  I've also tried several different batteries with identical results.  Any help is appreciated.

EBK

Could you post a pic or two of your breadboard?
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

EBK

Is that gray cap connected at both ends?  It looks like one end is floating.....
  • SUPPORTER

Digital Larry

Joe Gore, who came up with that circuit for SD, now has his own blog.  You might consider asking him at www.tonefiend.com.
Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer

granite

I love this circuit, it was my first build as well!

The output cap is connected to the same row as the diode? To me it also looks like that it is on the wrong line.

I just quickly breadboarded one and it clips like there is no tomorrow.

If it is not the cap, I would recommend moving the transistor to one side of that IC channel. I have seen them not making good contact with all the leads when they are spread out like that.

What voltage are you getting on the transistor pins?

Mine - with the input grounded - are - battery is 9.4V :

C: 0.79V
B: 0.57V
E: 0 V (duh)

Beerrhino

the gray cap is connected on one side to the 100k resistor, diode  and collector.  on the other side to the effect out

granite

Ok, must be the angle why it looked like that that cap was floating.

This may just be the picture angle again but is the emitter grounded? Can't tell where that red cable ends.

Beerrhino

The emitter is grounded.
battery voltage is 8.93
C: .13
B: .12
E: 0

EBK

Are you measuring that supply voltage at the supply or at the 100k lead?
  • SUPPORTER

EBK

And, what specific transistor are you using?
  • SUPPORTER

Beerrhino

power supply.  at the 100k its .12

Beerrhino

I used several transistors, all with the same results. 2n3904, 2n5088, 2222a, bc108

granite

Aren't these voltages really low?

I thought that a normal NPN transistor should have diode-like forward voltage between Base and Emitter. That would mean 0.5 - 0.7 V?

Considering you swapped transistors, can that diode be broken?

EBK

The voltage on the power supply side of the 100k, but measuring at the resistor.....  is 0.13 or 8.93?
  • SUPPORTER

thermionix

I just chunked one on the BB, got pretty much the exact same voltages as granite.  2N5088 and 1N914.  Tons of fuzz.  Had to reduce the input cap to 10n to sound decent.  It does get gatey when the input is really low, makes a sort of click when the pick first touches the string, and gates out after note decay.  I'm not a fan of that personally, but some folks dig it I know.  Pretty cool for $0.25 worth of parts though.