Help Me understand this one a little better

Started by matmosphere, July 15, 2017, 04:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

I'm trying to understand what the transformer is doing in this circuit, why its optional and if there needs to be a connection to ground somewhere from it.

GibsonGM

The transformer is just being used as an inductor..no ground required, it's just one coil in series with the transistor base.  It's being used as a filter...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

ElectricDruid

The transformer helps align the sound waves as they enter the circuit to boost positive energy and improve overall musicality. Mounting the transformer on a North-South axis or aligning it with leylines or other sources of ancient energy will improve your tone. Winding the transformer by hand around a carved wooden core of oak or rowan using organically-produced wire is best for smooth highs and rich bass. Willow gives a lighter, more mobile tone.

...sorry, I came over all audiophile for a moment there...I'll be in the corner...

T.

matmosphere

Interesting, but how will it effect my chakra?

EBK

When your inductance balances your non-inductance, you achieve harmony through the resonance within.  :icon_razz:
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

Cozybuilder

It looks like the input and output jacks are mis-wired on the DPDT switch. Shouldn't the input be routed through the transformer, and the output from the 100K pot?

Long day, nevermind.
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

digi2t

Quote from: ElectricDruid on July 15, 2017, 06:31:23 PM
The transformer helps align the sound waves as they enter the circuit to boost positive energy and improve overall musicality. Mounting the transformer on a North-South axis or aligning it with leylines or other sources of ancient energy will improve your tone. Winding the transformer by hand around a carved wooden core of oak or rowan using organically-produced wire is best for smooth highs and rich bass. Willow gives a lighter, more mobile tone.

...sorry, I came over all audiophile for a moment there...I'll be in the corner...

T.

I think I just pee'd myself a little.  ;D
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

Plexi

Its similar to the Bazz Fuss deluxe.
Just in case I want to use an inductor...which one I have to use?
To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.

Cozybuilder

Plexi- The schematic shows a 42TM018 primary, the data sheet shows that both the primary and secondary have 10K impedance. There are several alternative Xicon transformers, that could be used: the secondary side of that same transformer, or you could use the primary winding of 42TM002-RC, 42TM019-RC, or 42TM024-RC.

You could also use the smaller 42TLxxx-RC series: primary side of 42TL002-RC, or _012-RC, _019-RC, _024-RC, and _218-RC; and the secondary winding of _018-RC, and _218-RC will also work.
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

duck_arse

I think this circuit would werk better with a larger coil, maybe without a core, and definately mounted outside the box. maybe atop the amp.
don't make me draw another line.

matmosphere

So is there any reason the original Jack Orman circuit couldn't be boxed up in a small enclosure and placed in front of something like the Bronx Cheer or a Fuzz Face as needed? A sort of anti-buffer if you will.

slacker

Yes you could do that, it's probably easier just to put Fuzz Faces and the like before any buffers in your chain. Even with a pickup simulator you still lose the interaction with the guitars volume and tone controls which is a big part of the magic of a Fuzz Face.

matmosphere

Nice, I was thinking more from a tinkering standpoint to use when trying out circuits with my other effects.

I just used the Fuzz Face as an example, because of its known issues with buffers. I've never been a super big fan of the FF.