Filing solder joints to make them less pointy

Started by EBK, July 19, 2017, 09:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBK

Quote from: thermionix on July 25, 2017, 12:46:39 AM
It's pedals, not ICBMs. 
The op amp version of the Big Muff is an "ICBMπ".  :icon_wink
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

amptramp

Quote from: thermionix on July 25, 2017, 12:46:39 AM
I think summa y'all are getting a little too serious about techniques here.  It's pedals, not ICBMs.  The components are generally lightweight, and not subjected to high Gs or extreme environmental conditions.  And rather cheap, flimsy Pacific-rim junk to boot.  I've never had a solder joint go faulty because I soldered first and trimmed the lead afterward.  Nor from filing, but that's something I've only done rarely.  Not arguing against quality workmanship, but there's a point of diminishing returns and all that.

Quote from: davent on July 23, 2017, 11:25:01 AM
They sell our milk in...plastic bags

In some circles, "milkbagger" is a slang term for a Canadian.

I would dispute the claim to a lack of extreme environmental conditions.  Band equipment is tossed into vans, driven and sometimes operated in all temperatures from arctic to tropical and subjected to extremes of humidity as well and if the weather does not provide enough humidity, bringing a piece of equipment in from the cold to a warm room will provide condensing humidity and this is difficult to protect against because the equipment has openings for the jacks and no one does hermetic seals in this business.  The equipment is subject to vibration because it is often sitting right in front of a speaker.  It is subject to shock by being dropped or tossed around.  You have the same environment as mobile military equipment and testing per MIL-E-810 would certainly be appropriate.

Back when I was actually designing military equipment, there was a politically incorrect statement that the equipment should be designed as if it was to be operated and maintained by someone with a bone through his nose.  Abuse was just as much of a problem as environmental stress and people have been known to plug outputs into outputs or 18 volt power into a 9 volt pedal or AC power into a DC socket.  If you have heard of roadies who say, "Ook, ook", eat bananas and drag their knuckles on the ground, design the equipment to survive them.

thermionix

Quote from: amptramp on July 25, 2017, 12:54:23 PM
I would dispute the claim to a lack of extreme environmental conditions.  Band equipment is tossed into vans, driven and sometimes operated in all temperatures from arctic to tropical and subjected to extremes of humidity as well and if the weather does not provide enough humidity, bringing a piece of equipment in from the cold to a warm room will provide condensing humidity and this is difficult to protect against because the equipment has openings for the jacks and no one does hermetic seals in this business.  The equipment is subject to vibration because it is often sitting right in front of a speaker.  It is subject to shock by being dropped or tossed around.  You have the same environment as mobile military equipment and testing per MIL-E-810 would certainly be appropriate.

I meant more like surviving atmospheric re-entry, night and day on the moon, that kind of stuff.

Where do pedals fail?  The electromechanical parts usually.  Stomp switches first.  Then pots, and jacks (if you don't use panel-mount open-frame Switchcrafts).  After decades the electrolytics dry up.

UNLESS someone hooks reverse power up, then we know what happens there.

But snipping a lead...causing vibration to a solder joint...leading to premature failure...I've never seen that happen.

bloxstompboxes

Quote from: thermionix on July 25, 2017, 01:51:23 PM
Quote from: amptramp on July 25, 2017, 12:54:23 PM

I meant more like surviving atmospheric re-entry, night and day on the moon, that kind of stuff.

Where do pedals fail?  The electromechanical parts usually.  Stomp switches first.  Then pots, and jacks (if you don't use panel-mount open-frame Switchcrafts).  After decades the electrolytics dry up.

UNLESS someone hooks reverse power up, then we know what happens there.

But snipping a lead...causing vibration to a solder joint...leading to premature failure...I've never seen that happen.

And I would agree. I would say that it is possible, but to an extent that most manufacturers don't worry about it. At my last job at the infamous Harman, many of the amps we built for the automotive industry were still through hole designs. They were clipped by a machine after the solder wave. Sometimes the machine missed on a particular model and they shorted against the heatsink during testing. oops.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

Hatredman

Quote from: davent on July 23, 2017, 11:25:01 AM
... no need to buy anything except... standoffs rule.

I use Bic pen bodies as spacers, cut to size.

DISCLAIMER: have no pics of my builds, so had to Google it.

Scarlett Johansson uses a Burst Box with her Telecaster.

Kirk Hammet invented the Burst Box.

EBK

May have to be careful not to start a spacer vs. standoff war here.   :icon_wink:  Would that be a "standoff standoff"?
  • SUPPORTER

stallik

What colour bics?
Seriously, damn fine idea
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

R.G.

Well, 1/4" ID polyethylene plastic tube from the hardware store works too, and cuts easier than BIC pens.

Necessity is not the mother of invention. DESPERATION is the mother of invention.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Kennt82

It's not a problem on my smaller builds where the pots have dust seals.

However, most of my new stuff is 1590BB with top row pots leaving a big bare area of enclosure for the board to rest on.  I've used the foam that my op amps are packed with, but I may try to glue some dust seals to use as standoffs. I have a lot of them leftover.

anotherjim

QuoteI've used the foam that my op amps are packed with
Remember that ought to be anti-static foam and should be a bit conductive. Only impact circuits over 1M and CMOS but bear it in mind.
The open cell anti-static foam sheets (Like a lot of PC boards are packed with) can be good for damping instrument cavities you suspect of causing squeels/resonance while we're in tip mode.

Kennt82

Oh thanks, I only thought to  try that recently. I should have checked. Let no one else make such a noob mistake. Standoffs for sure.

amptramp

The black foam is conductive; the pink foam is not.  The pink foam does not generate any electrical voltage when it is moved or rubbed but it does not dissipate voltage.

EBK

While were talking about foam, why not use my favorite standoff/spacer, double stick foam tape? Has the added benefit of staying where you stick it.   :icon_wink:
  • SUPPORTER

bloxstompboxes

Quote from: EBK on July 26, 2017, 04:52:52 PM
While were talking about foam, why not use my favorite standoff/spacer, double stick foam tape? Has the added benefit of staying where you stick it.   :icon_wink:

That ,and velcro are my favorites when I can't use a standoff. Velcro has better adhesion in my experience.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.