How do I avoid Sound2light circuit leaking ground to other led?

Started by alexbergsland, July 20, 2017, 03:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexbergsland

I have a pedal with two stomp switches.

What I want:
When the pedal is On the red leds light up.
The pedal has to be on for the blue led to light up.

This works fine until I removed the red led and added the Sound2light circuit (with two red leds) found in deadastronauts thread
Sound2light makes the red leds light up when the strings on the guitar are played.

This is how it looks in my pedal:

When I add Sound2light the blue led can be lit up even if the the On/Off is off.
I think this is because the blue led is grounded through the sound2light circuit.
I have tried adding a diode but it either does nothing or stops the effect of sound2light.

How can I fix this?

Edit:
One idea would be to use a 4pdt for On/Off and let the ground to the blue led go through the 4th switch so ut would be separated from the sound2light ground.
But maybe there is a simpler way?

slacker

You can do what you've asked by changing a few connections on the on/off switch. I'm guessing you don't just want a blue led that you can turn on and off though and you want the "extra effect" switch do something else as well. You really need to tell us what else that switch is supposed to do before we can help with how to wire it up.

Welcome aboard :)

alexbergsland

Thank you!

Is this enough or do you need the whole layout?

alexbergsland

And to explain it a bit more:

On/Off:
Green is the unaltered signal that goes to the effect circuit board.
Blue is the altered signal that comes from the circuit board.

Extra Effect:
White goes to the effect circuit board
Blue goes to a pot
Orange goes to a pot

slacker

Yeah that's enough information, I just wasn't sure from your first post whether "extra effect" meant a completely separate circuit or something else, looks like it's switching between two things in the same circuit.

This should work https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B45V-V1ycMU9Y0huT2ZmNEh1LU0. When the effect is bypassed the Blue Led has no ground connection so it will got off, the green wire from the switch to the red LED, shorts the LEDs to ground so they will go off. When the effect is on the red LEDs aren't shorted so they'll work and the blue LED has a ground connection so it can be turned on or off.

alexbergsland

Ok, I should have chosen another name than "Extra effect" :D
In this case it's more like "More of the same".

Your suggestion worked as for the on/off having priority over the extra, however, now the red don't change intensity when the strings are struck.
I can't see why it would do that.

alexbergsland

Correction, it does indeed work ;D
After a lot of testing I found that the LM386 was blown and somehow shorted out when connected to the signal.
I changed that and now it works fine, Ill add some pictures later.

Here is the current layout: