News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

AC ADAPTER

Started by daz061, July 21, 2017, 06:37:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daz061

if i want to plug an AC adapter(barrel type) into a project whats the best EAGLE part to use, do the ac tips have live neutral and ground?

thermionix

An AC adapter that outputs DC?

daz061

No just ordinary AC adapter

thermionix

So it's just a step-down transformer?

When you say "Eagle" are you talking about the sim software or the component brand?

Ice-9

Ok first thing to mention is that an AC adapter is not the same as live-neutral and ground, That I would class as mains AC voltage.

As far as an Eagle part pattern the same part for DC or AC can be used, the internal circuit in the pedal is what will convert an AC adapter power to the required rectified DC needed inside the pedal. The actual plug type can be used for anything you want to use it for.

EDIT- When I sayThe actual plug type can be used for anything you want to use it for.

Just in case this is misunderstood. I am referring to low voltage AC or DC from a wall wart. I am NOT talking about mains voltage this would be very dangerous and quite possibly fatal.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

R.G.

Quote from: daz061 on July 21, 2017, 06:37:47 AM
if i want to plug an AC adapter(barrel type) into a project
... and you also want to have guitar pedals nearby that could ever even mistakenly be plugged to this adapter, make it a barrel size that simply can not be inserted into a pedal. Guitar pedals, even with polarity protection, may suffer significant damage from any AC adapter connection. There's only one commercial brand that uses polarity protection immune to this that I know of. The parallel-reverse diode does not protect against it. Series diodes do, but they're both uncommon, and you lose that fraction of a volt from the power supply.
whats the best EAGLE part to use,
How are you measuring "best"? Cheapest? Lightest weight? Most environmentally friendly? Highest current or voltage rating? Strongest construction? Lowest contact resistance? Fits the widest range of boxes? Easiest to solder?

Quotedo the ac tips have live neutral and ground?
As noted earlier, noted earlier, no. The secondary of an AC wall wart does not have one wire preferred over the other in any way.

If you are thinking you will put ordinary AC mains AC into the project through a barrel connector ...
STOP!
That's so dangerous I don't even have the stamina to explain how bad it is. You might get away with isolated AC from a transformer wall wart.

If you're using a barrel connector with AC from an isolated wall wart, be very, very sure your connector does not let either contact touch the metal enclosure.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

bluebunny

Quote from: daz061 on July 21, 2017, 06:37:47 AM
if i want to plug an AC adapter(barrel type) into a project whats the best EAGLE part to use, do the ac tips have live neutral and ground?

Quote from: daz061 on July 21, 2017, 02:08:09 PM
No just ordinary AC adapter

Please don't take this the wrong way, but both these statements (which don't really contain much information) say to me that you're trying to deal with something you don't fully understand - yet.  Which is fine, of itself, because you're here to learn, as we all are.  And that being the case - as R.G. hints - we don't want you to kill yourself (or worse).

Here's my question to you: what are you really trying to achieve?  Please give as much detail as possible.  Where do you want power to come from?  What form do you need it to take when it reaches your project?  (DC or AC? voltage?)  What is the unnamed project?
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...