OCD V3 not passing signal

Started by pgorey, July 21, 2017, 08:52:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pgorey

Hello everyone.  Been a little while since I built a pedal.  Built 6 in a row and then took a break because I had the essentials.  Fast forward to me giving some of my builds to friends to create the need for another distortion and envelope filter.  Got a new filter and now am working on this layout for the V3 OCD.  I should start with the first simple and maybe obvious question / answer.  Which way should the op-amp face in this layout (link below - choose the V3 pic)? 

Testing points on the board, I get signal at the input from my true bypass switch, the first 10k resistor off of the input on both sides, the top of the 470k resistor and then pin 3 of the op-amp if it is supposed to facing with top left being pin 1.  No signal anywhere else except when bypassed out of the output jack. 

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/02/fulltone-ocd-all-versions.html

I've re-checked my layout of components, cap polarity, transistor location and reflowed and checked for solder / flux bridges and cut all the strips.  Where did I go wrong? 

bluebunny

You can see a faint semi-circle at the top of the IC in the picture.  That indicates where pin 1 is.  I think you'll need to post some voltages to find out more about why it's not working.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

pgorey

Thanks for the quick response.  I re-flowed and cut the strips again and found that one of the double ground wire jumpers that goes into the same hole under the IC was not actually connected.  Sure looked like it from the solder side but that may have been the solution because it's working now.  How about the distortion amount?  I'd like about 25% more and wouldn't mind the lower end of the gain to be a bit dirtier as well.  I once modded a Tubescreamer for more bass response and more dirt by swapping out two resistors.  Possible with this circuit as well?

bluebunny

Dunno.  Your link is to a layout, not a schematic (and it's not one I know off the top of my head).  But I'm sure it can be made more distorted and/or bassier if you can find a schematic.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

pgorey

Looks like from research that the 18k resistor could be socketed and increased / decreased respectively per the gain increase or decrease desired.  I'll give that a try! 

Version 3 pedal really sounds great.