True Bypass Mod for TS808

Started by gravityman, July 23, 2017, 03:19:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gravityman

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on the True Bypass mod for the ts808 with 3PDT switch. Can anyone give me a full step by step instruction for this?
Also, does the mod require any drilling? I tried searching for previous threads however i found that the information was rather fragmented. If I may have missed one, please provide the link!  :)

deadastronaut

yes it would need drilling...because of this i would highly recommend

building another. always handy to have in your arsenal. 8)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

R.G.

True bypass is the solution to a problem we don't have much with modern equipment.

The objectives of true bypass were to prevent "tone sucking" (treble loss from pickup loading) in the bypassed state and to let you have sound go through if you had a dead battery. Today's improved pedal circuits, and the TS808 in particular don't load down the "bypassed" guitar signal to a noticeable extent now that pedal designers understand the loading problem. And today, using a battery per pedal is dying out as people turn to much cheaper and more flexible AC to DC supplies.

It is far simpler and less damaging to your pedal's eventual resale value to either (1) build a true bypass switch in a box and use that ahead of the pedal, not modifying the pedal at all, or (2), as D.A. said, build your own personal version of the TS808, including  true bypass in it.

The urge to mod pedals is powerful, but sometimes should be resisted. As the saying goes, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do it.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

thermionix

Some people just don't want their signal buffered when in bypass, for whatever reason.  Maybe they want the option of running a TS before a Fuzz Face or LPB-1.  The TS808 can accept a 3PDT foot switch without drilling, and a washer covers up the remainder of the rectangular hole.  Probably not the case for the TS9.

gravityman

Thank you for the replies. It seems I found a decent PDF guide for this. Will jump right at it and let you know if I have further questions. Thanks again.

Hatredman

I'm sorry, but this is WRONG. Kind of a Sin. A morbid joke. Disgusting. Fills me with the urge to... Well. It's just wrong.

--

Scarlett Johansson uses a Burst Box with her Telecaster.

Kirk Hammet invented the Burst Box.