Morley Bad Horse 2 converted into treadle controlled Phase 90?

Started by Myampgoesto12, July 23, 2017, 12:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myampgoesto12

I was never happy with my Bad Horsie tonewise, it had a great sweep and killer bypass tone, but no matter what mods I did I could not get the "clipping sound" I struggled with to go away. I've since got a GCB95 and modded it and I'm way happy with it.

I'd like to take a Phase90 and stick the guts in my horsie to more or less make a variphase and before I get one or take a stab at cloning one I was hoping to find out if the LDR sweep system in the Morley would work well enough instead of a Phase90's 470kA rate pot. I've read on here recently that the LDR sort of makes a 1m "pot" in that circuit.

It may be a while before i can get around to it, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

taniwhatuu

That's a pity. I spoke to Scott at Morley and he gave me some good advice. After reading RGs pages I rebuilt the BH to include switching and changing gain stages

Now I have a wah that can be quacky as a cry baby, deep mids like a box and switchable to bass wah.

Not sure about the phase 90 sorry

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Myampgoesto12

In no way is the horsie bad, it just didn't work for me entirely. In higher gain settings that clipping sound is masked by the compression and other noise so its fine for that. I've just cooled my roll so to speak and don't play heavy distortion much anymore.

May look into what you've done though. That seems like a versatile pedal that you've made out of it. Though I like the extra space left after the horsie being put away lol

Kipper4

Excuse me but what did you want the treadle to control?
I am not aware of a variphase. Thanks
Rich
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Myampgoesto12

I'd like the treadle to be the rate control. MXR has a phase built into a GCB enclosure that's basically a phase90 with volume and mix trims on the side. Its very expensive and I guest they don't make it now.  The vids I've watched have really entrigued me lol and if the LDR will work it would be awesome

Kipper4

Keep it simple.
Use the treadle pot as your rate pot.No led/ldr involved.
It would be good to see a schematic intended for the purpose though.

Wait the treadle does use a pot right?
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

thermionix

Quote from: Kipper4 on July 23, 2017, 04:42:42 PM
Wait the treadle does use a pot right?

Not on a Morley.  Optical is kinda their raison d'être.

Myampgoesto12

I'm having trouble uploading the horsie schem, but anyone can get it from Morley. But I will be removing the board anyway.

My idea is to maintain the LDR fet bypass and sweep components as well as the two buffers. I would have to relocate the components to another board. If the LDR sweep will work I could just use that, and use the contour switch for bypass as well.. That would be easier, lol.

My main obstacle is not knowing what difference the LDR sweep that's more or less 1m will have on the rate. Also the pot in a phase90 is log. The taper from the LDR is kinda Lin.

Transmogrifox

The taper from an LDR is approximately 1/x, which is very nearly reverse log.

This is a pretty trivial thing to do.  You can tune the oscillator rate range with other components if the LDR range is too extreme.

Parallel resistance to make the slowest rate faster.  If it doesn't go fast enough then you might need to change a capacitor value in the oscillator to speed it up.

I think the overall range will be ok.

The bottom line is this is not an unreasonable thing to attempt and the Morley chassis gives you lots of space.  You could probably house a wah AND a phaser in there if you wanted.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

Myampgoesto12

Sweet deal, thanks for the info on the LDR. When I get this accomplished or totally fail I'll get back on here.

Thanks again.