where would be best to steal voltage for an led on a line 6 dl4?

Started by pinkjimiphoton, July 24, 2017, 01:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkjimiphoton

hi guys,
i'm messing with a basket case dl4 i got for cheap on the bay. it had bad switches of course and was pretty much filthy and in dissarray.
someone had hacked in blue 5mm leds, which caused the problem why it was sold cheap i think.

it would come up sometimes in some strange "loop" mode where the tempo led was constantly lit and it would slap exactly twice.

sometimes it wouldn't come up at all, or it would occaisionally fire up normally. very occaisionally. but same symptom would always repeat... after about 10 minutes, the whole damn unit would reboot.

i did a little thinking and figured the blue led's are likely drawing too much current, (tho i'm not sure) being double the size of the 3mm ones. so i pulled the led's and used some of my sig pink ones in its place, but with a 2.7k metal oxide resistor hacked into the anode side.

no more reboots, seems to work great.

also doing a feedback mod and the sampler access switch mod to it maybe the dual preset mod too, but i'd rather have that mounted internally as well as it seems to make more sense than have an aux box i have to plug in. hoping i can skate by just sticking a plug in the jack to break the internal connections, then a dpdt with a bicolor led.....
would like to add led's  to each mod. i'm going with a latching switch for the feedback mod, as i'm too unstable on my feet due to the vertigo to wanna go momentary, so it would be good to know at a glance what mode i'm in.

so my long-winded question is, where abouts on that board would be a good place to steal enough voltage to run 3-4 led's without drawing enough current to mess up the pedal?

i must confess abject stupidity beyond even my usual disabilities in the realm of digital anything and don't wanna kill the whole thing in my pursuit of having a dl4 and eating it too (figuratively, of course)

can some kind soul shine a light from above to my dumbfounded ass and buy the pinkster a clue? i promise, somehow, i will pay it forward....

thanks in advance!
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

GGBB

Short of knowing much at all about this circuit (did a switch replacement once but that's all), I think the safest bet would be to come right off the main power line into a rectifier and regulator. More components but no doubts either.
  • SUPPORTER

pinkjimiphoton

thanks gord,
i finally found this, which worked for switching the looper on or off via stompswitch

some reccomend a diode in line with the resistor apparently. i didn't bother. but i can see why... these are very touchy and draw a lot of current, so even a simple led can mess them up.

also found this, which is the proper way to hook up the "dual preset" thing... i built it right into the pedal with a stomp and an led. THIS is the correct way to do it.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/DIYFiles/up/EX1Foot.PDF

this is the incorrect way to do it, at least from my trying it. close but no cigar:

also did the "musical" feedback mod... added a momentary to the feedback pot, which despite being maligned is way more useable musically and subtle than feeding the output back to the input with a pot in line. at least to my ear.
since i figured i'll never run it on batteries, i stuck this "warp" switch at an angle thru the battery compartment.

warping these suckers really brings 'em to life, but ya gotta jump thru some hoops. and you can't tighten the screws that hold the pcb down all the way, as it will flex and not work right .

a couple "rules" for future people looking...

do ALL MODS with unit powered down. (duh!! but seriously)

after each mod, do the factory preset salute, buttons 1 and 4 pushed down on power up.

you have to test after each mod. or the unit will perform weird, if at all. it needs to have a full power cycle off and then back on with each modification, or it will default to weirdness or may not work at all.

when putting it all together, get it in and line it up with the hex shapped standoff to get the board lined up.

the screws closest to the jacks can be installed. the ones closes to the footswitches .... don't install. just use the hex.

the reason is, the replacement footswitches are a little deeper than the actuators were, and will likely be resting on the pcb. if you tighten down too much, odds are you will short something and the unit won't work.

don't try doing the double preset mod switch while holding the feedback button down. it makes it lose its mind for a minute lol

i think that about covers it.

once i test everything, i do a part, reinitialize, and test again after each step.

finally, i hold switches 1 and 4 down and power up. check that its working. power down, and then repeat holding switches 1 + 3... that turns the tails function on or off. i want it buffered, so i opt for tails.

when all's done, its a fairly sick machine!! ;)
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr