1st Build debug help 27v Boost on Veroboard

Started by ss_230, July 25, 2017, 01:55:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ss_230

I've been tying to build from this layout -> http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.ca/2016/07/byoc-27v-boost.html but I'm having no success :(

I replaced IC2 the MAX1044 for an available ICL7660S(CPA) which the build notes said was fine on the above link "On the site it says it uses a 7660s for the charge pump, but the schematic shows a MAX1044, remember the two are interchangeable. "

I used true bypass with a 3PDT. When the effect is off the sound comes through but when it is turned on it is dead silent.

Schematic: http://imgur.com/JGxcc5A

Layout: http://imgur.com/XJhu3ov

Offboard wiring: http://imgur.com/PtYYw5z (with a note on output to board wiring)

Component side of board: http://imgur.com/hx8gl83

Vero side: http://imgur.com/4yID5CK (reflowed all solder points along track "P")

Pic of off board wiring: http://imgur.com/W2nvNJp (cleaned up and insulated LED wiring since this was taken)

voltage from the 9v Battery reads 8.02 (I originally tested with power from a DC Jack, but reread the "how to" and realized it was preferred to use a 9v snap, so I connected one and retested, values seemed to differ by a similar amount 9V DC to 9V Battery)

Voltage at the circuit board end of the red battery lead (+9V on circuit board) 7.47

Voltage at the circuit board end of the black battery lead (ground on circuit board) 0.0

IC1 TL072
1 = 6.57
2 = 1.499
3 = 1.550
4 = 1.642
5 = .949
6 = 1.5
7 = 2.11
8 = 2.31

IC2 ICL7660SCPA

1 = 7.52
2 = 7.5
3 = .956
4 = 1.436
5 = 1.432
6 = 0.03
7 = 1.6 - 4.5 (this seemed to climb to 4.5 at peak then drop again to 1.6 in cycles)
8 = 7.45

D1 IN4001
A = 7.4
K = 6.92

D2 IN4001
A = 6.94
K = 6.44

Other notes:

First time ever builder, so yes, I know my soldering looks pretty nasty, I'm trying hard to get it working and then clean things up, I did reflow some dodgy solder points (especially along row "P" since the pic was taken).

I've been going nuts for two weeks trying to get it going so any help is greatly appreciated!

antonis

Not enough coffee yet but I think you've mirrored layout & component side without mirroring ICs..  :icon_wink:
(your component side should be identical to layout or else you have wrongly placed IC Inputs, Outputs & Power Supply ..)

P.S.
Wellcome... :icon_biggrin:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

duck_arse

I agree with my esteemed colleague antonis, welcome. and you have mirrored left/right. this means you will need to either solder the chips onto the copper-side of your board, OR pull the IC's and bend all their legs over their heads, so they will go into the sockets upside down - OR, scrap the board and build anew, sans mirror.

the opamp may have survived, but chargepumps have a rep as being delicate little flowers, and may well be toast.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

ss_230

Amazing! Luckily I bought extra IC's knowing they were sensitive and that I was likely to bust them.

Broke an IC leg on the TL072 trying to bend the legs, replaced and bent successfully, then replaced the ICL7660SCPA and bent the legs backwards, and voila! My pedal is making sound with the effect on!!

New issue is that now the pedal has an audible whine, present in bypass, much louder in effect mode.

My assumption is that the ICL7660SCPA is not good for this circuit and that I need an ICL7660S at a minimum and should probably find a MAX1044 for best results.

To be continued, and thanks very much for the help!

ss_230

Hmmm, or is it possible that I need to replace some of the electrolytic caps?

Quote from: ss_230 on July 25, 2017, 05:52:55 PM
Amazing! Luckily I bought extra IC's knowing they were sensitive and that I was likely to bust them.

Broke an IC leg on the TL072 trying to bend the legs, replaced and bent successfully, then replaced the ICL7660SCPA and bent the legs backwards, and voila! My pedal is making sound with the effect on!!

New issue is that now the pedal has an audible whine, present in bypass, much louder in effect mode.

My assumption is that the ICL7660SCPA is not good for this circuit and that I need an ICL7660S at a minimum and should probably find a MAX1044 for best results.

To be continued, and thanks very much for the help!

antonis

Quote from: ss_230 on July 25, 2017, 07:08:37 PM
Only if their rated voltage is lower than (or marginally equal to) their actual working voltage..

I've problem opening your wiring image but I guess the audible whine is due to some wiring problem..
(as long as it's present both in ON & By-pass states..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

ss_230

I managed to fix the problem by grounding pin 7 of the ICL7660CPAZ, no more whining!!!

Thanks to pinkjimiphoton on this forum for the suggestion. Thanks also antonis and duck_arse for the suggestions and help. Time to clean up the wiring and get this bad boy boxed and ready to go!

Quote from: antonis on July 26, 2017, 07:38:30 AM
Quote from: ss_230 on July 25, 2017, 07:08:37 PM
Only if their rated voltage is lower than (or marginally equal to) their actual working voltage..

I've problem opening your wiring image but I guess the audible whine is due to some wiring problem..
(as long as it's present both in ON & By-pass states..)

duck_arse

nice one. we'll be waiting to see the pics of the finished item.

[it might be wise to not use this particular build in any mission critical situations - it may well fall over just because, at any stage. it might also last forever, but .....]
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

ss_230

Ya, I agree, especially the mistakes I made drilling, I spent last night filing off excess board  :-\ gonna be a components down insulated backplate kinda deal.

I sure learned a lot about what not to do along the way!

ss_230

Here it is in all it's newbish glory, works great but I will rebuild a brand new one for use when we gig, it's one bad shaking away from short city  :o

Really appreciate the help I found here and can't wait to build more!

bluebunny

Quote from: ss_230 on July 28, 2017, 02:46:28 AM

Initiation, part one - complete.  Congratulations.   :)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

ss_230

Quote from: bluebunny on July 31, 2017, 02:45:50 AM
Quote from: ss_230 on July 28, 2017, 02:46:28 AM

Initiation, part one - complete.  Congratulations.   :)

Cheers! I definitely have the bug!