Author Topic: Boss ge-7 Total conversion + upgrade Mod  (Read 688 times)

Fatcrunch

Boss ge-7 Total conversion + upgrade Mod
« on: July 25, 2017, 12:27:33 PM »
Hello everyone,

i'm somewhat new here, been reading threads since forever and since i gathered all the knowledge, a lot of it from here i decided to participate in he comunity to share and ask questions myself.

Anyway, i found a hi-fi mod on this forum for the ge-7 and a couple of other mods so i implimented them all, half way through i realised i might as well swap out all the "inferior" capacitors with Wima since i can get them anytime, Germany is my next door neigbhour, and it wasnt that many to do the complete overhaul anyway..

I left all the values the same except for just a few that i didn't have in stock so i left the original Mylar, will "upgrade" them when i order my next batch.

I swapped out all the DIP op amps ic1, ic2, ic3, the tl022 for opa2132, then for some reason there is the second ic3 with 8 in line package, that position got the opa2134, however the ic4 seemed to sound best, to my ears anyway, with the stock jrc4558LD. I tried ne5532ap, 5532p and many others, the ones that werent JFETs didn't perform well at all, others were ok but a 0.02% from the stock one.
Btw, the tl022 kicks ass in my ts808 reisue, other op amps dont make much of a difference in there, but the tl022 makes it great for modern metal, it adds a strange depth overtobe that i really like.

All the ceramic caps were replaced with equivalent Silver Mica actually, the 470pF are now 500pF, but i also have Wima 560pF and will test it out tomorrow for sound comparison..

The changes i made from the hi-fi mod are the 3 electrolytic 1uF caps that were suggested to be poly are now Wima 2.2uf, and the stock 10uF cap on the output that was also recomended to be 1uF poly is now as well 2.2uF. The 100hz caps which is 1.5uF stock, is now 1uF and since i only have generic poly in that size i've put a panasonic just to fullfill my OCD ;)

Since im doing an complete upgrade to my Framus Dragon, i didnt have the chamce to test it out, tomorrow everything will be complited so upon request i can make some sound samples. Before the complite overhaul, wih the hi-fi mod only, i can guarantee the pedal sounds amazing and dead silent.

However i have some questions, ive read that high performing op amps require higher voltage, i've tested it on 12v and it does sound better but the only 12v on my Fryette valvulator v1 is already taken by my ts808, so the question is, will putting a jumper instead of d1 diode drive more voltage to he circuit?. Since i only use the mentioned power supply/buffer, reverse polarity doesn't concer me ?! I know i can lower R1 to 47-100k, but i have none of those in stock until next month so this is a better way for me if possible?

My soldering skills are rather adept, however i have just recently begun to learn to read schematics, so apart from upgrading caps, reading/understanding schems was and still is out of my reach. But i vaugely understand the ge7 circuit so please be gentle with me ;)

Here is a photo of the finished project. Yes the ic4 was demolished when i first pulled out, i wasn't thinking i might actually need it again ;) Im 30 and i just got dianosed with ADHD so patience isn't something i have to spare ;) however, since treatment, for the first time in my life i can actually keep friends, so all is good.

If you have any questions or critique, its more than welcome, i can take critisizm as it will only improve my skills.

Fatcrunch

Re: Boss ge-7 Total conversion + upgrade Mod
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 03:15:52 PM »
 So.....no one has anything to add? Bummed out this :(

Hatredman

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 05:34:19 PM »
A closer photo of your solution for the 8 in line IC would be grwatly appreciated.

--
Scarlett Johansson uses a Burst Box with her Telecaster.

Kirk Hammet invented the Burst Box.

ElectricDruid

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 06:09:50 PM »
swap out all the "inferior" capacitors with Wima

I'm a Wima film cap fan myself, so you'll hear no complaints about that from me. They're reliable, clean-sounding and available in tight tolerances, often 5%.

The changes i made from the hi-fi mod are the 3 electrolytic 1uF caps that were suggested to be poly are now Wima 2.2uf, and the stock 10uF cap on the output that was also recomended to be 1uF poly is now as well 2.2uF. The 100hz caps which is 1.5uF stock, is now 1uF and since i only have generic poly in that size i've put a panasonic just to fullfill my OCD ;)

Similarly, I try and design electrolytic out of an audio path, although I'm not sure I would have bothered replacing them in this situation, unless the pedal is thirty years old and I thought they were dried out. Most of what you read about "recapping" old gear is nonsense, so be cautious.

ive read that high performing op amps require higher voltage

That's too much of a generalisation to ever be true. *Which* op-amp? Read the datasheet. They tell you what the minimum operating voltage is, and the specs given are guaranteed within the range given. Push it outside that range, and it might work, but you can't rely on the specced figures any more.

Hope these few pointers help you a bit further.

Regards,
Tom

Fatcrunch

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 05:19:10 PM »
I'm doing a frequency change mod tutorial, like 40-50Hz cut with wide Q, a little midds and a lot of different hi-mid to higs with a curgical sharp Q and it can be used pretty much amywhere except for fx loop due to impenfance issue. I will use my feequency choice for studio use, where youd want to get rid of all those ultra low frequencies and shape it with obundance of higher frequencies, so you get the right sound through your mic when recording right of the bat.

Im using a gyrator calculator for all but one of the sliders, which is the last 6.4kHz that is actually a shelf filter and since it only has one resistor and one cap (others have 2 of each) i cant use my handy calculator as it requires 2 of each.
Can someone please help me with how to calculate this.
Stock it uses a 47nF cap and a 810ohm resistor and i'd like it to go a bit higher, like around 8kHz. Thank you in advance.

If anyone uses this pedal i will gladly calculate the freq and Q, cap and resistors values if anyobe has their own frequency range in mind.

Fatcrunch

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 04:44:14 PM »
Since no one is interested i will end this with some photos. Might this get some atention, i'd be glad to offer assistance.

thenewguy

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 11:10:36 PM »
Since no one is interested

I think it's more that this just isn't the most popular section of the forum.  Many more people would see if you post in the main "building your own stompbox" section.

You mentioned the TL022 in your TS.  I've never tried that opamp in anything.  Both of my screamers have sockets, maybe I should get one to experiment with.  I don't do metal really, but curious to hear the difference.  Would you say you get more distortion with that chip?

Hatredman

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 06:34:18 PM »
"Since no one is interested..."

That's unfair. I was interested, asked for more info on the mods you were doing, links, references and all, asked for pics, and you ignoted me.
--
Scarlett Johansson uses a Burst Box with her Telecaster.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 06:36:49 PM by Hatredman »
Kirk Hammet invented the Burst Box.

Aaronhep

Boss ge 7 Total conversion upgrade Mod
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 04:01:11 PM »
ok, i got the idea as far as affects of pull back and hight measurements; however, how does handlebar width affect riding position, comfort, etc.?
I recommend using robot trading software for independent business