Peavey Valve King 8 question

Started by Electron Tornado, July 27, 2017, 02:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Electron Tornado

I picked up the chassis for a Peavey Valve King 8. Here is the schematic, which looks fairly similar to a VOX AC4: http://www.tremolo.pl/Firmowe/PEAVEY/ValveKing%20Royal%208.pdf

Here's a question:  What does R17 just before the volume control do? One mega-ohms seems like quite a bit of resistance in line with the signal.
  • SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?

thermionix

I reckon it's there to cut a little high end and volume.  The amp would work without it, but might get a little harsh.

Electron Tornado

Quote from: thermionix on July 27, 2017, 03:13:48 PM
I reckon it's there to cut a little high end and volume.  The amp would work without it, but might get a little harsh.

I'm thinking of getting rid of the stock tone control, and as much of that resistor as I need to, and try something like the tone control from a Traynor DH15H:  http://traynoramps.com/downloads/servman/sm_dh15h.pdf

• SUPPORTER

Who is John Galt?

Electron Tornado

Looking at the two schematics, it looks like I can remove the stock tone control and R17 from the Peavey and add the tone controls from the Traynor.

Here is a question: how do I determine whether a circuit (like a filter...like a tone control circuit) will create too much signal loss for the next gain stage to adequately amplify. OR, put another way, if I want to put a circuit in between gain stages, how much amplification will be needed to bring the signal level up to some desired level?   

I'm thinking I'll be fine with the EL84 since the Traynor uses a pair of 12AU7s for a 2 Watt power setting.
  • SUPPORTER

Who is John Galt?

GibsonGM

You can simulate each tone stack/control with LT Spice etc., and note how much signal loss there is, to make a basic comparison of how each needs to be driven or recovered.   

Keep an eye on your source impedance (the Z of the stage driving it), probably a good idea to try to make that close to what you would really be using, or at least 'similar' (low or high).   

Note that if tone control taken from amp "A" was driven by Z impedance in that amp, and you change the impedance driving it in your amp "B", the control may need component adjustment to 'sound the same'.    Not a big deal but worth keeping in mind...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Electron Tornado

Quote from: GibsonGM on September 06, 2017, 06:58:21 AM
You can simulate each tone stack/control with LT Spice etc., and note how much signal loss there is, to make a basic comparison of how each needs to be driven or recovered.   

Keep an eye on your source impedance (the Z of the stage driving it), probably a good idea to try to make that close to what you would really be using, or at least 'similar' (low or high).   

Note that if tone control taken from amp "A" was driven by Z impedance in that amp, and you change the impedance driving it in your amp "B", the control may need component adjustment to 'sound the same'.    Not a big deal but worth keeping in mind...

The two 12AX7 stages in both amps are very similar, so I think impedance shouldn't be an issue. I should find a copy of LT Spice and learn how to use it as well.
  • SUPPORTER

Who is John Galt?