drilling hammond box with a cnc machine

Started by cml, July 31, 2017, 09:44:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cml

has anyone done the Hammond enclosure drilling  with a DIY cnc machine  ??
or a relatively inexpensive machine ??

LiLFX

Yes. You'll need to think about making a jig that holds the box really firm because you are going to get "chatter". An eBay 3020 CNC might be able to do it with really slow Z-axis speeds and "peck" drilling. While aluminum is soft, you'll need a rigid machine because plunging through aluminum and engraving aluminum are two different things. To be quite honest, the only thing really appealing about having a CNC is to use it for engraving because the drilling part can be done really well with some jigs and a drill press.

vigilante397

I've done engraving but never drilling. Bits are too damn expensive, don't want to risk breaking them.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

R.G.

Small CNC machines make GREAT accuracy transferrers. Instead of marking measurements to center-drill locations, have the CNC make a center-divot where the hole centers go. Then drill in the drill press. Eliminates the inaccuracies of hand marking and center punching, and can be done with an engraving bit.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

vigilante397

Quote from: R.G. on August 01, 2017, 10:42:50 PM
Instead of marking measurements to center-drill locations, have the CNC make a center-divot where the hole centers go. Then drill in the drill press.

I have done that though 8)
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Ice-9

Yeah I do box milling on a cnc3040 , I have modified it to use a better spindle though, I have just made a video for a different thread of cutting out a 1590XX box but need to find some software so that I can make the video in fast forward.

I made a simple enclosure holder that can take the 1590A, 1590B and 1590XX enclosures, I used the cnc to make the enclosure holder from a couple of bits of plastic and ally I had spare. I will try and get the video up ASAP.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.