Previous topic - Next topic

Plexi

A guy is asking me this ABY selector.
A good option to put two amps in phase.

Which transformer/s can I use?
To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.

R.G.

You might want to try breadboarding up an isolator using the TY-250P from Triad. They're $5.00, in stock at Mouser.

Try breadboarding up just the transformer and see if it's "transparent" enough for your ears.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Plexi

Thanks... I'll try.
I need to measure ~1k in primary and secondary?

tonight, we ride

Primary and Secondary should be the same, whether it's 1K or something else.

Plexi

I have a few small transformers there. I don't remember where I get them.
I didn't found any info googling them...
I'll post some pic

Plexi

Any of those?
Any advice of how/where I have to measure?

Thanks

Plexi

Is there any buffered ABY box option?
Sadly, the only schematics I've found on google, are en photobucket...and are out.
I would say photo@#$%it...  >:(
Thanks

tonight, we ride

There are a few variations on the Geofex website.

If you click on "Electronics" on the side bar, they're on the right hand side under "Signal Routing and Effects Order."

There's also one on the BYOC site that is basically the same as what you'll find above.

Plexi

Thanks for the advise.
I searched and didn't found anything: almost all the sites are down.

stallik

To get my 2 amps to sound in phase, I put my active aby's aside and just reversed the speaker leads. (Switchable) on one amp. This sounds too simple for it to be the correct way of doing it but it sure sounds good and the difference is quite remarkable.

I put the reversing switch in place for those times when I'm using different effects to one amp and the output of that pedal chain is out of phase with the other.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Lars F

I just made this splitter, guess you could add switches If you want to.

I'm sure it is overkill with the Lundahl in there, but I have some laying around and just used that. Most likely any decent 10K:10K transformer would work.

Also, build this if you want to, but I'm far from an expert. I just nicked the ideas and hacked them together. Maybe there are many mistakes. Feel free to tell me why it sucks, always glad to learn.

Anyway, since Plexi is looking and I just made something similar I thought I would share..

Enjoy..

Regards,

Lars

Plexi

Hi Lars... GREAT splitter!
And welcome ;D

I'm having troubles finding that transformer here in my country

Lars F

Thanks for the welcome, Plexi  :D

Where are you located? Canford in the UK ships world wide, I think.
https://www.canford.co.uk/Products/23-112_LUNDAHL-LL1540-TRANSFORMER-Analogue-audio-PCB-line-input
The prices are pretty hefty though and I'm really not sure you need this quality transformer for a guitar splitter, especially since it is driven by an opamp.
Like I wrote it was in my stash and I used it. They are the only 10K:10K's I got.
If I had to go shopping I would look for something from Edcor or OEP.

Glad you like the splitter :D

Enjoy..

Regards,

Lars

Plexi

I'm in Argentina... the only country where you have to pay fees for everything, and never see anything good back from the Government.  :icon_cry:
As I can see, to me it's more expensive to purchase the transformer and built by myself than purchase the BigShot instead.

wavley

I used the Edcor 10k:10k in my boxes after playing around with the Triad, Xicon, and whatever else I could find to try.

I played around with RG inspired Humfree ABY circuit A LOT, built it stock, tried several transformers, sounded great for regular guitar but stuffy in the bass when I played baritone or Bass VI, got the Edcors... sounded really great!  Then I started to get crazy and built things to drive them harder to get the sound of a mic pre getting pushed hard, at one point I was using the discrete op amps from a API clone and an attenuator on the output to push them.  Sounded great, but it was kind of over complicated overkill.

Now, I just drive them with good neutral buffers that are on my board and the transformers are actually in boxes next to my amps, one has a phase switch to compensate for amp differences and they both have the fancy version of the Jack Orman pickup simulator hard wired on the secondary, one of them has a pot that approximates my tone knob to balance an amp I think is a little bright with the darker amp on the other side of the room.

Basically, I found it's best to stick with pretty much RG's thing unless you're playing baritone or bass, then stick with RG's thing and use a bigger transformer.  I personally like putting the transformers closer to the amps because using the bigger ones takes up more space on my board and there's less high frequency loss from the long cable run (in my studio, one of my amps is about 40 feet from my pedalboard), because I'd rather use tone knobs and stuff to control that a little more precisely.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

Lars F

Just putting a transformer in a box and using the buffers you have already is a great solution imo.
Must admit that curiosity drove me too as well as the fact that I think the Gigrig Humdinger is cool and wanted something similar.
If I had had an Edcor that would have been my first choice. I thought about using a 600R:600R transformer, but was unsure I would be able to drive it with a 9V supply. And everyone seems to use 10K:10K for guitars, so just vent with that.
Makes sense to put it close to the amps though with a 600R output transformer it should be less important.

Regards,

Lars

Plexi

I'm back with this... The customer interested didn't want to wait for the transformers to arrive..as I said; it's almost the same priceto purchase the BigShot directly.

But, by my inquisitive nature, I would like to have some alternative.
Is this buffer usefull?
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-9a4eB4lGwQs/T9mrt2CY1hI/AAAAAAAAApA/ZVWzsCZVy0Y/s1600/buffered+Y+Splitter.jpg

(HUGE pic... and I don't remember how to resize before posting)

Lars F

To my untrained eyes that looks totally fine..

Regards,

Lars