first pedal wiring problem

Started by mattchu, August 02, 2017, 06:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattchu

Sorry for the same post everyone has seen before...

Hi, I made an Ursa Minor http://diy.smallbearelec.com/Projects/UrsaMinor/UrsaMinor.htm as my first pedal.
The effect works, but when bypassed I get no sound and ~200mV across the + power jack.

However, when the input cable is halfway in the jack, I get the clean signal and 3-4V on the power jack.
I assume I wired the jack wrong but I followed the pictorial as well as I could (its a little confusing).
Nothing is getting hot so I don't think there is a short somewhere.

Can anyone help? I'm about to just move on and only use this pedal in the studio

EBK

• SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

adrianhertz

could you post a picture?, it may be your switch orientation,i agree
it sound like a wiring issue

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

mattchu

here you go. thanks in advance.
best i could get without disassembling.

adrianhertz

i may be wrong, but seems like you are missing a connection in botton row of the switch

mattchu

bottom row has the board in (3), board out (6), and output jack (9)

EBK

Not meant to be a "major" dig against Steve, a personal hero of mine, who I will endlessly worship with all of my spare money, but those parts sure do have lots of elbow room in that layout.  :icon_razz:
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

smallbearelec

I agree that since the effect works, this is likely a wiring problem. Is it possible that Tip and Ring are reversed? Toward the end of the instructions, there is a pic of the (stereo) input jack. The chamfer is the flatted side, and that identifies the Sleeve. Orient the jack as in the pic, and be Sure that T and R are going to where they should.

adrianhertz

ok, the way i see this, #1 is bridged to #4 for bypass, #2 is input tip, #3 is effect in, #5 is output tip, #6 is effect out, #8 is led negative snd #9 is ground, can you confirm this?

mattchu

9 is currently connected to the output sleeve. Im guessing it should go to ground as well?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

adrianhertz

Quote from: mattchu on August 02, 2017, 10:10:35 PM
9 is currently connected to the output sleeve. Im guessing it should go to ground as well?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
all ground connection should be connected to a single point to avoid ground loops

smallbearelec

Quote from: adrianhertz on August 02, 2017, 09:47:47 PM
ok, the way i see this, #1 is bridged to #4 for bypass, #2 is input tip, #3 is effect in, #5 is output tip, #6 is effect out, #8 is led negative snd #9 is ground, can you confirm this?

That's all correct. Make sure that you have identified T and R correctly on the jack.