Gristleizer waveform issue

Started by disorder, August 06, 2017, 06:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

disorder

I just built up the MusicPCB version of the Gristleizer. I am having two issues, they might be related. I am probing on LUG 3 of the DEPTH pot with the pot set to max (wiper to LUG 3) to see my waveforms. I got the triangle wave to look proper with the internal shape and offset trimmers.

My first issue is with the square wave... it doesn't get past the depth pot. When the pot is set to max (wiper to lug 3) I do not see the square wave at lug 3. When the pot is set to min (wiper to ground) I can then see a beautiful square wave at lug 3. And at the wiper of the depth pot (lug 2) I get nothing on the square wave setting regardless of what position the pot is in. I'm thinking the circuitry after depth pot is loading down the square wave and I can only see the wave when the wiper is at lug 1 connecting that circuit to ground.

My second issue is with the ramp up waveform. It looks good but it's amplitude increases greatly when the depth pot is set to max. I see this issue even when I'm probing at lug 3 of the depth pot. At lug 3 with depth pot maxed the ramp down waveform is about 4V peak to peak. The ramp up waveform is 8V peak to peak with depth pot maxed. And again... I'm looking before the pot  at lug 3 where you shouldn't see the pot acting as voltage divider. Really strange...

Gristleizer build doc and schematic

disorder

disorder

SOLVED: Theres an optional 10uF cap spot on the pcb you can populate to help reduce "ticking". Its not on the schematic but it's from the DEPTH pot wiper to ground. My guess is during the fast transients of the square wave and the rampup wave the opamp has a hardtime keeping up with the charge requirement. Not sure.

BetterOffShred

So you removed the 10u? I've read a lot of build reports from this site for the Gristleizer and most people don't use it, just curious how it works for you now!  Good work
-Brett

disorder

Yes removed it and all modulation waveforms look and sound great now. I never had a ticking problem to start, I just populated it because it was there which is bad form I guess. I don't want to speak for every one but with that cap in I wasn't getting any modulation happening on square wave setting... and some weird stuff happening with ramp settings at full depth. If anyone has those symptoms it might be that cap that is not on schematic.