Acapulco Gold.. All the kids are doing it

Started by Ben Lyman, August 05, 2017, 04:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plexi

Sorry for insist: but maybe a switch with 10uf electro on pins 1-8 of the 2nd LM?
Did you tried?
To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.

Ben Lyman

Quote from: Plexi on August 08, 2017, 08:47:43 PM
Sorry for insist: but maybe a switch with 10uf electro on pins 1-8 of the 2nd LM?
Did you tried?
Yes! I did try that, it just seemed so obvious that I had to try it... Not really any more distortion, just a lot of noise and it rendered the gain pots null and void.
"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

Cozybuilder

Have you tried a coupling cap after the tone stack? As drawn the tone pot and 47K to ground will be in parallel with the 200K (R11) to ground at the Q base, giving a variable bias. Anything from 100nF on up should do it.
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

duck_arse

here's me being unhelpful again. tone stacks are usually sorted values/load-wise for what is driving them. here you are driving with a power amp, which will withstand low impedance loads. I was wondering about your following a power amp with a buffer - maybe the tonestack values could be recalculated to lower values that won't be loaded by the vol pot and what follows so you wouldn't need the last transistor.

but I might be muddle headed thinking, too.
don't make me draw another line.

Plexi

Quote from: Ben Lyman on August 08, 2017, 10:51:37 PM
Quote from: Plexi on August 08, 2017, 08:47:43 PM
Did you tried?
Yes! I did try that, it just seemed so obvious that I had to try it... Not really any more distortion, just a lot of noise and it rendered the gain pots null and void.

That was what I imagine...even with gain at 50? (~1/2k + 10uf)
Take a look about that: in this cases is better to have a few of both, than one to full (in my experience).
Maybe get about 100/200 of gain on LM1, and add some edge/compression on LM2 is a good idea.

Quote from: duck_arse on August 09, 2017, 11:08:57 AM
here's me being unhelpful again. tone stacks are usually sorted values/load-wise for what is driving them. here you are driving with a power amp, which will withstand low impedance loads. I was wondering about your following a power amp with a buffer - maybe the tonestack values could be recalculated to lower values that won't be loaded by the vol pot and what follows so you wouldn't need the last transistor.

That's why I aske before, maybe the recovery stage is redundant here, or are 'sucking' all the LM power..
To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.

Ben Lyman

Quote from: Cozybuilder on August 09, 2017, 01:14:26 AM
Have you tried a coupling cap after the tone stack? As drawn the tone pot and 47K to ground will be in parallel with the 200K (R11) to ground at the Q base, giving a variable bias. Anything from 100nF on up should do it.
Holy cow! Thanks Russ, I was at first considering a JFET buffer like my last pedal (The Color Booster) and then I thought , well why not a cheapo 2N5088.
I'll get a 100n in there ASAP.

Quote from: duck_arse on August 09, 2017, 11:08:57 AM

Couldn't make it easy for me, huh? I see what you mean though.

Plexi, I didn't add a recovery stage, it's just a buffer because I thought it might help the tone stack "get along" better with different devices following the pedal. Maybe Duck has the answer in that I just need to scale down the values.

I am at this moment thinking how the IC2 is probably doing more than just volume, it must be getting overdriven by the IC1. I see more and more how simple EQD thinking was with the design, maybe it's like "LM386 as a preamp with volume all the way up" and going into "LM386 as a power amp"
Anyway, I will mess around with it some more. To be honest, I like this better than the Acapulco Gold but that isn't saying much. The thrill may be wearing off a bit, I'm thinking how much cooler it would be to have something that emulates a cranked Hi-Watt instead. Maybe a JFET Hi-Watt simulator.

Here's the update with a coupling cap b/t tone and buffer:
                                                                          -S. Vai

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: Plexi on August 06, 2017, 12:13:08 PM
The V1.1 goes to 11  ;D
Which would be the difference that C5 and C9 made?

well, the bigger caps are gonna let a couple octaves more bass thru so will be sludgier and louder but not necessarily a useable loud.

the smaller caps would make it tighter with more output in the mids and highs, so it will cut better. it will go to 11.
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

Ben Lyman

Easy build, only took 4 hours to box it up. Controls from left to right are level, tone, gain, and a pre gain with treble bleed that acts as a bass boost and cut, it really helps with changing from single coils to humbuckers.

Here's another long boring vid with my strat:

and an even longer boringer vid with my dual 'bucker tele:
                                                                          -S. Vai

Elijah-Baley

Hi, Ben Lyman! Did you draw a final schematic for this pedal?
Probably I'll build a basic Acapulco Gold to use some A type box, but how I use to do, I'm getting some info about the schematic and mods, etc...

Thanks!
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

dano12

Quote from: duck_arse on August 06, 2017, 11:52:17 AM
I have a different vershun .....

.... mine's louder.

Madness! Such a thing is not possible!  :) :) :) :) :)

duck_arse

don't make me draw another line.

Elijah-Baley

Probably I was searching right that schematic, I was beginning to understand it. The control's name deceived me! :D

Thanks!
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»

bamslam69

Made the Acapulco Gold the other week with the optional Gain pot.
Sounds good, but there's a fair bit of noise/hiss in it. (not there when in bypass, thought I'd mention that). Normal?
Yeah Nah - Nah Yeah

Elijah-Baley

I would like to build it, too, even if not in these days. What is the layout you follow? I probably use the veroboard layout on Guitar FX Tagboard. Sometime someone got squeal at high volume.

bamslam69

Yeah I used the one off the tagboardeffects blogspot
If anything, I have the 2x 386's that I can use in a tufnel, and rebox the pedal
Yeah Nah - Nah Yeah

Steben

Quote from: duck_arse on March 20, 2019, 09:29:39 AM
is possible, see see?

Is that a sag resistor??
The zobel network sucks a lot of current.

I've always thought of a 386 based circuit to simulate "real" sag.
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

PRR

> The zobel network sucks a lot of current.

Only at MegaHertz.
  • SUPPORTER