Stuff to Buy in Bulk

Started by THRobinson, August 06, 2017, 12:05:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

duck_arse

those volume pots - we usually see log or A taper pots used for volume, you are showing lin or B taper.

I was recently looking at plastic tracked pots and spotted a wrinkle. the number of splines in the shaft varies, greatly.
don't make me draw another line.

davent

Digikey and Mouser i've never had to pay more then $8 shipping to Canada and Digikey's dropped the free shipping threshold to $100.

Mouser was $200 for free shipping last i ordered, it's been awhile. They've always been about ten days to arrive but i use the USPS/Canada Post option to get the $8 shipping.

I don't bother with Tayda.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

davent

For me at least seems with this hobby that no matter how much stuff you accumulate the next pedal requires ordering something you don't have, so at least one order is necessary for every pedal anyways.

Every pedal...

1/4" jacks, if you never plan to use a battery then just get a bunch of mono jacks, if you'll be doing batteries or both you'll need to get stereo and mono

If going batteries; bunch of battery snaps and switched 2.1mm power jacks

Never going with batteries, you can get a bunch of nice compact unswitched enclosure mounted 2.1mm power jacks.

Ten same sized Hammond enclosures from Digikey can save a lot.

Is there a single colour & style of knob you'd be happy to put on every pedal you make, then buy those in bulk.

Veroboard, point to point or etching your own pcbs, buy a nice big piece of the one you fancy.

And then there's a risk of finding a part that you like better then the one you bought in bulk and still have a bunch of...

Components, even just buying per pedal build you soon accumulate more stuff then you'll use in a lifetime.

dave

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

thermionix

Quote from: duck_arse on August 07, 2017, 11:59:00 AM
I was recently looking at plastic tracked pots and spotted a wrinkle. the number of splines in the shaft varies, greatly.

Happens with carbon pots too.  I think CTS are "fine" and Aplhas are "coarse" or maybe I have that backwards.  I generally like solid shaft pots, so I can always get the knobs pointing the way I want.  But then you have 6mm vs 1/4"...

To quote Early Cuyler: "Damn Europeans and their metrics!  This was their plan all along!"

THRobinson

Quote from: davent on August 07, 2017, 11:30:34 AM
https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/tt-electronics-bi/P160KNP-0QC20B100K/987-1659-ND/4780750
https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/tt-electronics-bi/P160KNP-0FC25C10K/987-1729-ND/5957473

This is the page i came up with for those P160 series  plastic pots you picked, 55 different ones that may cover your needs.

https://www.digikey.ca/products/en?t=84&s=25825

I think plastic elements are pretty rare in pedal sized pots and most people use 16mm Alphas which are carbon, widely available, many many values and tapers, a couple different shaft styles and with shaft lengths sized for pedals, in my eyes not having to cut down the shafts is wonderful.
dave

Ya, there's a lot of pots... but if you take that list and click 10k and Rev Log... it shows only 1 match, the pot with the extra long shaft that isn't knurled/slotted. The 987-1729-ND.

Tayada seems to have some though. Though, wish a few more filters on the site, and details... doesn't seem to say if carbon or plastic.
Beginner in DIY Electronics

Cozybuilder

Try Small Bear, Steve keeps a good assortment in stock.
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

suryabeep

I buy Tayda for bulk, small bear for individual pedals. The price is just incomparable on tayda. I've noticed that if I exceed $65 or so, shipping becomes $11 for DHL 2-4 day to California which is pretty good compared to anything else. I build pedals for my friends too, so I buy a whole bunch of solder lug pots - 100K, 10K, 25K, 50K in both Logarithmic and Linear tapers (the last two values are usually linear). Buy a bunch of 1 uf film caps, you'll be surprised how many you need. In general, try to have a large selection between 10pf and 100nf. Resistor/Capacitor kits from Amazon are good too, if you want all the common components.
Hardware is frustrating- I always run out at the wrong time. I usually buy enough hardware (footswitches, audio jacks, and DC jacks) for 10 pedals at a time.
Still in the process of learning, so bear with me if I ask dumb questions :P

THRobinson

Quote from: suryabeep on August 08, 2017, 12:45:02 AM
Hardware is frustrating- I always run out at the wrong time. I usually buy enough hardware (footswitches, audio jacks, and DC jacks) for 10 pedals at a time.

Yup... I hear ya. I have so many hobbies, and more often than not, what should take a weekend to complete ends up taking 4-6 weeks because you forget something or didn't realize you needed something, and being in a remote area, I have to shop online and wait for it to show up in the mail.

I know at first, it'll be that way, but hoping to buy bulk and some of those assorted kits... maybe avoid those issues once I've made a few.

I was just looking at "64 values 1280pcs 1 ohm - 10M ohm 1/4W Metal Film Resistors  Assortment Kit" on eBay for under $6CAD.... 8,904 sold, so, can't be too bad, just 12-36 day ETA.  Figured find a seller that has a good kit like that for a few things (resistors, polyester caps, etc) and order all at once.

PRR

> "64 values 1280pcs 1 ohm - 10M ohm 1/4W Metal Film Resistors  Assortment Kit" on eBay for under $6CAD

It's less than lunch. 20 each of every 1.26X value means you won't quickly run out of, say, 56K. When you see any tape is down to half length, order more of whatever values you are using.

Yes, you will die with 19 pieces of 9.1Meg un-used. (You used one the day you ran out of 10Meg; often no difference.) You may never touch the 1.2 Ohm. At a half-cent each, not the worst investment you'll ever make.
  • SUPPORTER

THRobinson

Quote from: Plexi on August 06, 2017, 09:46:23 AM
Take a look at this thread:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=116818.new;topicseen#new

I went through the link, and the link in that link of the graphs... plus, a 3 part series from DIY Guitar Pedals on YouTube listing his common parts, which was a bit hard to follow (accent and a bit jumbled, not sure how accurate I was with the part numbers).

Anyways... combined the lists into a spreadsheet. Still working on it but would appreciate feedback and when done can post it (sticky maybe) for others to use.

Basically,

Parts in black are just ones I have, not mentioned on any list.
Parts in red are ones mentioned here
Parts in blue are mentioned from the YouTube series
Parts in green were mentioned in both lists

I also have a column with numbers, rankings from those graphs.  Again... just putting it together, still needs work... but take a gander, let me know what you think. Also looking for more to add to the miscellaneous, like pots, switches, buttons, etc...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4sP8AQKGK2pUGo2Y2tMdHZfV0E

THRobinson

Wow... conversation kinda just died. :D

bluebunny

We're all buying bulk at Tayda while the discount coupon is still active.   ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

THRobinson

More of a reason to post here about 'what' to buy in bulk so can make the spreadhseet better.  :icon_cool:

bluebunny

Make a BOM for a Tube Screamer, a Fuzz Face, a Big Muff, an Echo Base (throw in a couple more for good measure...) - then multiply everything by ten.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

THRobinson

Haha... actually that's what I was gonna do.... make a list of 5 pedals, and multiply parts by 10. Then if any parts on the list aren't in the build, get those too.

Upside to being Friday, only work half days... so, my afternoon I guess is planned, listing/ordering parts.

THRobinson

EBK

• SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

THRobinson

Thanks!

Found that last night browsing YouTube demos, thinking I'll try making that one first.

I wanted to build a "Chuleta Fuzz Pedal" but couldn't find any schematics for it. Emailed who use to build them, hoping since no longer built they'd be ok with sharing the schematics, but not even a reply to say no.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-2a5_Mqd7c

THRobinson

Found a few good diagrams online, (ie. http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.ca/2012/02/ibanez-ts808.html) but I'm still learning so, few parts on the diagrams I don't know what they are yet.

Is there a good site for the pedals mentioned a few posts back, that list the parts needed?

EBK

Quote from: THRobinson on August 18, 2017, 03:29:43 PM
Is there a good site for the pedals mentioned a few posts back, that list the parts needed?
Go to a site that sells kits or PCBs and look at the docs.
Try www.generalguitargadgets.com to get started.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.