Buzz Box Custom Fuzz

Started by Barracuda, August 08, 2017, 06:14:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barracuda

It took me long enough, but here's my first finished design from top to bottom. Quite a simple schematic, not particularly based on anything and I'm pretty happy with it!
See what you think!

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqUlyEowUzE&t=3s

REPOSTED VIDEO

GibsonGM

Can you post the schematic?

I can't open the vid, using Firefox and "HTML 5 not supported"...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

duck_arse

"your browser does not support any of the formats we are trying to push this week " .... or something - Vivaldi V1.7 on Linux.

didn't you put any components in the box?
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

GibsonGM

• SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

thermionix

I downloaded the video and watched it.  Pretty cool, very fuzzy.  I liked the delay into fuzz sound.

Plexi

To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: Barracuda on August 08, 2017, 06:14:11 AM
It took me long enough, but here's my first finished design from top to bottom. Quite a simple schematic, not particularly based on anything and I'm pretty happy with it!
See what you think!

Video:

REPOSTED VIDEO

that fukker is brootal.

well done bro!!

#FuzzyGoodnessAward
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

Plexi

Love it!
Very harshy!

Tell more about the transistors you use

Barracuda

Hey guys, thanks for the positive feedback!
These are just 2n5088s

Hatredman

Schem schem schem schem schem schem

LOVELY SCHEEEEEEEEEEM

BEAUTIFUL SCHEM!

--
Scarlett Johansson uses a Burst Box with her Telecaster.

Kirk Hammet invented the Burst Box.

Plexi

Quote from: Hatredman on August 16, 2017, 01:21:59 PM
Schem schem schem schem schem schem

LOVELY SCHEEEEEEEEEEM

BEAUTIFUL SCHEM!

Quote from: Plexi on August 08, 2017, 03:16:37 PM
Post some schematics! :-)

Quote from: GibsonGM on August 08, 2017, 07:56:12 AM
Can you post the schematic?

We need to reach the 200 petitions!  ;D

italianguy63

I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

duck_arse

You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Barracuda

Haha, unfortunately I'll be selling this pedal, already had good interest from retailers. So I don't think it would be a great idea for me to post the schematic. But appreciate the enthusiam  :icon_lol:

Fancy Lime

Hey Barracuda,

I think the assumption that have the schematic be public would hurt your sales is incorrect. The people who are able to build a fuzz themselves are not usually those who go buy them. I personally think the whole secrecy about schematics is a bit silly. I don't mean to pressure or shame you into releasing something you do not want to, just saying the whole idea that only secret schematics make commercially successful pedals seems unfounded to me. The argument for keeping them secret would work if the schematic would be extraordinarily innovative but lets be real, no-one has really done anything actually new since (at least) the 70s when it comes to analog audio distortion devices. Its a bit like in the music industry. Sure, the argument that downloads hurt sales is true to a certain extent but not nearly as much as the industry makes it out to be. And until we all have MUCH better 3D printers, building a fuzz takes a bit more skill than downloading mp3s. So if you want to keep it secret, that's fine, but in the end having some people here copying the circuit and giving you reviews and creating exposure might be a good, not a bad thing for selling it to the non-soldering musicians. Just my 2 cents. I release all my designs hoping no-one takes unfair advantage because I learned how to do these things because others have done before as I do now.

What is more important for sales (besides advertising) in the end is (outward) design of the boxes, and yours is awesome! Really cool, although I would move the tiny switch to the top of the big (fuzz?) knob, out of harms (or foots, in this case) way, at least for a for-sale pedal. Sounds great too.

Cheers,
Andy
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

Plexi

Oh...dude... not good!  :-[

I think your intentions aren't according to this forum's spirit.
Anyway... it's ok: I respect that :)