Circuit doesn't work after soldering + greetings

Started by novtec, August 12, 2017, 09:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

novtec

hello guys, i'm new here and i want to ask some questions about my 1st project. I'm new on this kind of stuff but I'm eager to learn. Also, englsh isn't my first language so you might find some grammar error ;D

So currently I'm building a "heavily modded" electra distortion circuit. They work and sounds good when I breadboard them, but somehow they stopped working after I solder the parts to a perfboard. this problem also occur while breadboarding, but solved by wiggling the transistor a bit. I double check the continuity and they're fine. Visually, I don't find any shorts. Does it caused by cold joints or dry joints? this problem stress me out :(

p.s: i'll post images and the schematic as soon as my phones charged

Plexi

Hi there!
Waiting for the pics :-D

My personal advice: if you really want to learn, avoid veroboards.
Really.. they simplify in some way, and complicate in many others.

BTW: where are you from?
To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.

novtec

i'm from indonesia, southeast asia. phone's still charging. veros almost have no existence down here, so no need to worry about it.

Plexi

Greetings from Argentina  ;D

I'm going to ask: why waste your time with boring perfboards and pedals ... and not with Ceriatone kits?  ;D
(They're in Malaysia, just around the cornerfor you)

novtec

Never heard of ceriatone, but probably would check them out

novtec

These are images that I mentioned earlier. Local store doesn't have 300R, 10K resistors and 103 cap in stock atm, so I improvise [emoji16] [emoji16] [emoji16]

Also I'm out of 3904 so I use 2222 that I've got.

Plexi

I cannot see clearly over the solder side.
But I can see that you use a LOT of solder, and there's some shortcuts around.
Maybe thats big solder bubbles are shortcutting somewhere.
Did you leave heating too much time the solder?
Remember that the orientation to 2N2222 and PN2222 are the same: not when is P2N2222...but I assume you know that when breadboarded it.

sominka

Quote from: novtec on August 13, 2017, 09:50:18 AM
These are images that I mentioned earlier. Local store doesn't have 300R, 10K resistors and 103 cap in stock atm, so I improvise [emoji16] [emoji16] [emoji16]

You have capacitors in series on your signal input. 27n +27n = massive voltage drop. ie no signal getting through. Change that.

thermionix

Quote from: sominka on August 13, 2017, 11:56:14 AM
You have capacitors in series on your signal input. 27n +27n = massive voltage drop. ie no signal getting through.

Really?  Isn't it pretty much the same as one 13.5n?  I guess you add the ESRs, but is that an audible difference?

sominka

novtec

Quote from: Plexi on August 13, 2017, 10:38:59 AM
I cannot see clearly over the solder side.
But I can see that you use a LOT of solder, and there's some shortcuts around.
Maybe thats big solder bubbles are shortcutting somewhere.
Did you leave heating too much time the solder?
Remember that the orientation to 2N2222 and PN2222 are the same: not when is P2N2222...but I assume you know that when breadboarded it.
Thank you plexi :D
Sorry for potato quality, lol

I use 2n2222, quick google search shows same pinout as 3904

novtec

novtec

Quote from: sominka on August 13, 2017, 11:56:14 AM
Quote from: novtec on August 13, 2017, 09:50:18 AM

You have capacitors in series on your signal input. 27n +27n = massive voltage drop. ie no signal getting through. Change that.
Never heard of that voltage drop thing, can you explain?

Also I did it because I don't have 103 and I only knew that serial caps has lower capacitance, lol