Exploding Soldering Irons; or how I learned to love my glasses

Started by moid, August 12, 2017, 06:08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moid

Hello everyone

A small public health warning for you all (and some questions, always questions). I was soldering earlier this evening and I noticed the tip of my iron was drooping (for once this isn't a innuendo). It was still working (it's a fine thin conical tip by the way, at least I think that's what she said) so I carried on with vague thoughts about hmm I guess I had better work out where to get a new one from when there was a high pitch metallic zing sound (a bit like if you run a pick across the strings of your guitar between the nut and the tuning pegs) and something hit the lens of my glasses and then slid onto my cheek where it burned a small hole. After a few moments of (fairly manly and loud) swearing I discovered the tip of the soldering iron had decided to explode and embed itself in my face. I've no idea why this happened - I only wipe the iron on copper scraps; I don't use a wet sponge or anything else that would cause things to shatter and I hadn't dropped the iron on its tip. I have sometimes forgotten to coat the tip in solder when I finished using it, perhaps this is the issue?

Moral: wear protective glasses (or just glasses at least) when soldering. Sometimes the universe wants to blind you and it's worth being prepared for this! If you notice your soldering iron beginning to droop or curl, then turn it off and switch to a new tip.

Question time. I need to buy a new ST7 fine conical tip for my SP40N Weller Soldering Iron. For some reason, these are not available in the UK (the Irons are, but not this specific tip) so I'll need to get them from the USA via Amazon (which is OK but will take a long time). Are there any other manufacturers tips that would fit this iron that I could search for in the UK? The diameter of the tip is 6mm by the look if it and it's only held in with a grub screw on the iron itself so any tip should do. Does anyone know a brand that are reliable and lack explosive properties? I've got a spare chisel tip tip that came with the iron which is a bit wide (I've never used chisel tips before) so I'll have to try using that for a while and be careful with it!

Another question. When I bought this iron, it came with something that is described as a 'soldering aid' - see the below photo. It's a long thin black plastic pointed stick with a thin split at one end and a spike at the other and no explanation of what it is or how it should be used. Do any of you have any idea what I should do with it? The busted tip is also in the photo in case it's of interest. Thanks!

Mushrooms in Shampoo -  Amidst the Ox Eyes - our new album!

https://mushroomsinshampoo.bandcamp.com/album/amidst-the-ox-eyes

EBK

Quote from: moid on August 12, 2017, 06:08:50 PM
I discovered the tip of the soldering iron had decided to explode and embed itself in my face.
:icon_eek:×100

Ho

Lee

Shit
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

EBK

I think the "soldering aid" must be a surgical tool for removing shrapnel.
  • SUPPORTER

moid

Wow, thanks Roseblood, I never thought of searching RS - I'll do that tomorrow!

EBK - I was beginning to wonder about the tool myself! I think the solder on the tip probably did more damage than the tip itself, it kind of spattered all over the place. I think this is the first time in my life I've been glad that I wear glasses :) I guess this is a rare thing and not normal for Weller tips? This is my first Weller iron and it's much better than my previous one, but I'm a little worried about using it in case it decides to attack me again... maybe it's had enough of making noisy fuzz pedals?

stallik

A quick search on soldering aids brings up a number of tools. The one you pictured has the following description:
Made from static dissipative, heat resistant material
Tapered to a fine point at one end and a spade shape at the other
Used for scraping, prying, guiding molten solder, static sensitive component handling, component removal, wire seating or removal, and more.
It says nothing about removing solder from flesh but will probably do the job if you dig deep
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

PRR

The forked end of the stick will snag a wire and move it. I guess the other end moves stuff that does not need snagging. It is of course very inexpensive to throw in the bag.

Glasses: all my life I wore glasses for anything not-near. Cataracts got bad and I had my eyeball lenses replaced. Now I do not need glasses for most things! Except I keep getting sticks and dust in my naked eyes. Learned I can NOT use the weed-wacker bare-eyed, too much shreddings in my eyes. It is a real life-change.
  • SUPPORTER

stringsthings

Close call!  I've never heard of a soldering iron tip blowing up.  Maybe some kind of impurity in the metal??
Just quessing.

davepedals

Yeah I must admit I've never heard of an exploding soldering tip, however weirder things have happened in this world. I always use protection when working with things like that , as well as ear protection when working with loud music. Eyes and ears are two things I value very much in my life.
dave

anotherjim

There's a hollow bore from the back in some tips, and there's a little permanent magnet pushed into the hole. The magnet pulls the heater contact in. When it's hot enough, the magnet reaches its "Curie point" and weakens, releasing the heater contact.
I suppose it could have corroded a tiny hole from outside the tip into the bore hole and flux got in there. Solder then covered that hole while the iron started cooling down.
As it heated again, the flux gassed and being trapped, caused the tip to rupture. Like soldering a copper water pipe joint with water still inside.
Maybe that didn't happen but I can't resist this kind of puzzle.

duck_arse

if I'm not peering through the big magnifier, whilst wearing my specs, I might as well be throwing solder at the connections for all I can see. so, in that respect, I think I'm at least a little safe.

as for your explodings, that shouldn't happen, ever. I'd think you should contact the manuf or distributors, the tool you have sounds unsafe. any tip that isn't white hot shouldn't really droop, either, I don't think.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

R.G.

Even one trip to the emergency clinic is more expensive than quality tools and protective gear.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

sominka

1/8 mm of hot metal blasted in your eye could have been catastrophic.
This is very concerning and everyone should be wearing eye protectors when soldering.

EBK

Yes. Proper eye protection and a clean workspace are the keys to injury prevention while soldering.  There was something else that's important too, but I keep forgetting it....
  • SUPPORTER

sominka

Yes women without gloves are a problem and an area of danger  :icon_wink:

stringsthings

This picture cracks me up every time I see it.  She's doing many things correctly:  1) hair tied back  2) no loose bits of clothing
3) eye protection.  As someone else pointed out - at least her eyes are protected when she throws the iron after feeling the second degree
burns on her fingers!  ;D ;D ;D

EBK

It is interesting to me that this happened with a Weller.  I was very close to buying a Weller soldering station, but I ended up buying a Hakko because of suggestions that Weller may have been declining in quality in recent years.

Apparently, these things have exploded before (scroll to the comments on this page):
https://blog.adafruit.com/2010/05/04/post-a-photo-of-damagedoxidizedcorroded-soldering-iron-and-win/
  • SUPPORTER

runmikeyrun

From the sounds of the drooping tip maybe the heating element failed and the temp climbed way above normal, causing the tip to come apart?  Either way I'm glad you weren't hit in the eye. 

I don't normally wear glasses but it's really not a big deal to wear them when you see stories like this.  This is an injury that I would be embarrassed to have since I'm a paramedic and know to use safety gear.

Ham fisting my way through one build to the next since 2003. 
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

moid

Quote from: stallik on August 12, 2017, 08:30:00 PM
A quick search on soldering aids brings up a number of tools. The one you pictured has the following description:
Made from static dissipative, heat resistant material
Tapered to a fine point at one end and a spade shape at the other
Used for scraping, prying, guiding molten solder, static sensitive component handling, component removal, wire seating or removal, and more.
It says nothing about removing solder from flesh but will probably do the job if you dig deep

sorry everyone for the lack of response, the past few days have been spent doing essential DIY to my house (none to stompboxes alas). I've become quite good at replacing roof tiles and can now also do a reasonable job of repointing brickwork. Although apparently I've used the wrong colour mortar... bugger.

Thanks for all your suggestions and commiserations... at least I know how to hold a soldering iron properly :) It's clenched between your teeth, right?

Thanks Stallik and PRR - after your helpful comments I discovered that the split end of the tool is exactly the right size to position / hold component legs if you're trying to remove them while desoldering. I reckon it would remove shrapnel from skin too; the pointed end is pretty sharp!

moid

Quote from: R.G. on August 13, 2017, 12:24:30 PM
Even one trip to the emergency clinic is more expensive than quality tools and protective gear.

Good point RG, luckily I live in the UK, so healthcare is free, but I'd still rather not bother doctors with issues I could avoid myself! I might look at one of those large magnifiers that duck is talking about though; they sound quite useful - I have a small one but it's not much better than my glasses.