First attempt at DIYLC, will this work? (It does work!)

Started by patrick398, August 15, 2017, 08:06:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patrick398

Greetings Comrades. I just had my first go at putting a layout together using DIYLC...it's tougher than it looks. The circuit is basically just an Os Mutantes fuzz with blendable input caps, an extra gain stage, and a bias pot. I threw it together on breadboard and started changing a few things and quite like it now so want to put in on stripboard.
A few things to note:

1. I'm mounting the pots at the top of the board hence the weird jumper wires. (The stripboard i have has a row of pot mounting holes along the top)
2. This is an incredibly inefficient use of space but it's my first go and it adheres to the 20x17 size i had so i don't really mind.
3. Have i completely ballsed it up?

statzern

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to put multiple things through the same hole, especially not with a pot leg going through. In the future, I wouldn't worry about putting pots directly on the PCB for veroboard layouts, this kind of defeats the purpose of the strips. I would spend some time studying the layouts online, especially the layouts over at tagboardeffects.

Sorry I can't comment on whether your layout appears "correct" or not since I don't know this circuit at all, but congrats on getting started on making your own layouts!

patrick398

Yeah it's not ideal having two things going through a single hole but the holes for the pots are slightly bigger than normal so it's not too tricky. It just means that i don't have to worry about messy off board wiring or securing the board in the enclosure. The pots hole everything in nice and safely and it just looks nicer :)

Cozybuilder

Is there some reason you didn't make cuts between the individual pot lugs? You might want to reposition all the pots to the side so that the strips run to the pots, and redo the layout.
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

patrick398

Yeah sorry it's because i'm using this: http://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Splended_Stripboard/p847124_12489373.aspx
The top row has holes specifically for mounting pots and as such aren't connected

patrick398

I've spotted one error in the layout so far: The second 22k resistor (coming from the clipping diodes off Q3) was wired from ground to the 1k5 resistor instead of from the junction of the diodes to the 1k5 resistor (hope that makes sense). Anyway here's an updated version. Anyone else spot anything glaring? I really want to solder this together but it's my late piece of splended stripboard so don't want to bugger it up

duck_arse

circuit diagram, circuit diagram, circuit diagram.
circuit diagram
don't make me draw another line.

patrick398

Schematic? I was going to include the original but wasn't sure it would help much since i've deviated from it a little.
Here's what it was originally based on but like i said i've added blend pot for the input caps, changed the biasing, and added an extra gain stage.

http://turretboard.knucklehead.dk/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/os_mutantes_schematic.jpg

Wasn't really sure what i was doing but thought it would be fun to experiment and it turned out pretty well to my ears. I've also just added a small cap between Q1 base and Q2 Collector on a switch so i can get some lovely fizzy goodness.

Cozybuilder

Quote from: patrick398 on August 15, 2017, 10:58:58 AM
Schematic? I was going to include the original but wasn't sure it would help much since i've deviated from it a little.
Here's what it was originally based on but like i said i've added blend pot for the input caps, changed the biasing, and added an extra gain stage.

http://turretboard.knucklehead.dk/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/os_mutantes_schematic.jpg

Wasn't really sure what i was doing but thought it would be fun to experiment and it turned out pretty well to my ears. I've also just added a small cap between Q1 base and Q2 Collector on a switch so i can get some lovely fizzy goodness.

Hand-drawn schematics are perfectly acceptable, and easier to follow than a description
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

patrick398

I'll bare that in mind. I don't have a smart phone so i can't easily take pictures of things unfortunately. Anyway i got impatient and after going through the layout a few more times i just went for it. It lives!. I don't think i've ever nailed a build first time let alone one i've tried to draw out myself so i'm pretty chuffed. Also it sounds amazing which is always a plus :)
Thanks for your replies comrades