Fuzzdog Lunar shot LDR issue

Started by Quazza666, August 20, 2017, 04:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quazza666

Hey,

I have made board based off the FuzzDog Lunar Shot and I am getting slight clipping which seems to be coming from the LDR.

i am using the Tayda LDR as suggested from the Build doc.

The clipping is coming only when I use high output pickups. When using single coils or rolling back the volume it goes away. Lower strings are worse

I have change input caps to as low as 22nF and the problem is still there.

The other issue is that I can't seem to get clarification of te values of the Tayda LDRs

Any help would be great.

Kipper4

Welcome to the forum Quazza666

Thanks for sharing the schematic at least.
It looks like a stripped down shoot the moon tremolo copy.

What ldr does the build doc specify? waitrony ke? 500k dark?

What value is the depth pot?

Try adjusting the gain trimmer.

Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Quazza666

Thanks Kipper4,

The build doc states that the LDR is 20M dark and 1K light (based on the build Doc)

KE-10720 is what Tayda state it is. I have attached the Data sheet. Looks like Light is 10-20K and Dark 500K Could this be too much resistance?

Even with the Gain turned well below unity, there is still the clipping. The clipping happens for the first part of the LDR on stage. only for a second or less. Dependent on pick attack also.

Cheers

Kipper4

Bare in mind the wave shape pot setting makes a great deal of differance in the sound of the trem.

try changing that too to see if you like the sound better.

Odd that the build doc says 20Meg dark and your using something 40x smaller. (500k)

the max gain of the IC2b is set by the ldr
so you see that if the ldr fully lit is 1k the gain of IC2b is 10
however if the ldr fully lit is 10k then the gain of IC2b is 1 or unity.

It will also depend on the led and ldr used. despite the values shown in the data sheets these cany vary an aweful lot.

Making R 13,14,12 bigger will dull the 5mm led used in the vactrol and provide less gain to IC2b.

You could try altering one or more of those.

Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Cozybuilder

Maybe there is just too much signal coming in from the humbuckers. Why not try subbing a 1M pot for R13 wired as a variable resistor?
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.