Can someone suggest me an overdrive pedal for solid state amps?

Started by seadi123, August 20, 2017, 07:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadi123

Built a Son of Screamer and it obviously doesnt work as it should; there's a slight boost with a semi distorted sound. This is just a Tubescreamer variant which was designed to push tube amps.

I'm using a Ruby amp with a good guitar speaker and a tweed champ jfet preamp variation. Sounds very good, just like a clean Fender amp.

I'm pretty sure hard clipping distortion pedal will work just fine with my amp, but was looking for a softer overdrive pedal wich creates the sound "on it's own", and not by interacting too much with the pre/power amp. Is that possible? Or should i just forget about it and build a ProCo Rat?

GibsonGM

It's hard with solid state, but you MAY find the JFETs will do ok if boosted; but can you boost enough without it sounding like fuzz, is the question.

Other than an opamp or JFET/MOSFET boost (my favorite), you might be kind of out of luck...but that's just opinion, we'll have to see what others say too.   My thought is boost only, no clipping diodes...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Plexi

I would think in Jfet/Mosfet when I think to push or get that natual tube-like od.

I have a Deucetone Rat for about 10 years: and it isn't the best option. Its a distortion/fuzz pedal thinked to sound loud, pushing big amps. Like the TS. IMHO

My recomendation: DAM Sonic Titan, Box of Rock, and I'll think in some another ones
To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.

Plexi

GibsonGM beat me for a seconds... Hahah

GGBB

Yes it's possible, but "overdrive" is a lot of different things to a lot of different people. What is the kind of sound you are looking for? Tube amp on the verge of break-up? Marshall Bluesbreaker (King of Tone variety), Timmy, lots out there. You really have to try/tweak a few to find what you like.

EDIT: Nothing wrong with a RAT either.  :)
  • SUPPORTER

seadi123

How did i not think about boosting the preamp 😳😳 I have an unboxed npn booster that i keep around, put in in front of the preamp, and it sounds so good. It's that classic full volume tweed champ overdrive; fuzzy and compressed. This is great for blues, but what i was originaly looking for is that mid hump overdrive, great for classic rock and more modern stuff

suryabeep

Would you mind posting the schematic for the amp you're using? It sounds interesting and I haven't built any amps yet, so I'm looking for ideas.
Still in the process of learning, so bear with me if I ask dumb questions :P

Plexi

KarenColumbo

I think there's a lot of nice overdriving potential in this preamp itself.
  • SUPPORTER
I see something of myself in everyone / Just at this moment of the world / As snow gathers like bolts of lace / Waltzing on a ballroom girl" - Joni Mitchell - "Hejira"

duck_arse

Quote from: Plexi on August 20, 2017, 08:46:46 PM
Duck beat me for a seconds... Hahah

?? ??

I'd suggest a harmonic percolator. it doesn't seem to distort excessively on my mashall SS.

[edit :] that's not fair, I typed three question marks and I got an emotion icon. boo!
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Plexi

Quote from: duck_arse on August 21, 2017, 11:50:30 AM
Quote from: Plexi on August 20, 2017, 08:46:46 PM
Duck beat me for a seconds... Hahah

???

I'd suggest a harmonic percolator. it doesn't seem to distort excessively on my mashall SS.
My bad/ my dislexic [emoji4]
I meant GibsonGM...maybe I was reading you on another trhead haha

MaxPower

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us - Emerson

suryabeep

Quote from: seadi123 on August 21, 2017, 01:14:33 AM
This is the preamp, the power amp is just Rog's Ruby

So you just put this on a Veroboard / pcb, and take its output to the ruby input? And then ruby out to speaker? Sorry if these are dumb questions, just want to be sure [emoji16]
Still in the process of learning, so bear with me if I ask dumb questions :P

seadi123

Yes. If you read that thread uou'll see that i made a the mistake of not using trimpots for biasing. Now all three jFets are biased to 4.5V with 10k trims

granite

Quote from: MaxPower on August 21, 2017, 09:42:55 PM
Eh? No tube pedal recommendations?

Since you asked for it...

Check these out, multiple people built them, mine is plugged into a cheap SS amp and sounds great. Runs off pretty much any low DC voltage and the 6J6 tube is very inexpensive.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=111622.0

MaxPower

Quote from: granite on August 22, 2017, 07:28:00 AM
Quote from: MaxPower on August 21, 2017, 09:42:55 PM
Eh? No tube pedal recommendations?

Since you asked for it...

Check these out, multiple people built them, mine is plugged into a cheap SS amp and sounds great. Runs off pretty much any low DC voltage and the 6J6 tube is very inexpensive.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=111622.0

Thanks, hadn't seen that one.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us - Emerson

bettsaj

When i used to use a JC120, I used a Boss turbo overdrive..... Worked a charm.
"My technique is laughable at times. I have developed a style of my own, I suppose, which creeps around. I'll never be a very fast guitar player."

Transmogrifox

On the topic of ROG, you might get some joy by adding one of these switchable before or after your preamp:
http://runoffgroove.com/umble.html

You can mess with the source bypass capacitors to get more or less bite to taste.  In general I think these Fetzer valve preamp clones would be a good place to start.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

ragtime8922