Can someone suggest me an overdrive pedal for solid state amps?

Started by seadi123, August 20, 2017, 07:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Resynthesis

Always had a soft spot for the EHX Hot Tubes. I've an original with a knackered transformer which I've never got around to fixing but recently bought the new version and still really like it on almost anything.

Chris S

Since no one else has, I'm going to recommend the valvecaster. Mainly because if ever I have to use my little solid state for some kind of performance I'll always bring it. The build is super easy and the sound is great.

nonoxxx

Do you tried a real screamer circuit ? the son of screamer if I remember correctly is unbuffered perhaps it's may be the cause of the weird sound.

antonis

Maybe a "mild" distortion pedal, like Guv'nor, with a booster (NOT necesserily MosFET, Sir...!!!) will make your job..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

GibsonGM

Quote from: antonis on September 01, 2017, 06:23:34 AM
Maybe a "mild" distortion pedal, like Guv'nor, with a booster (NOT necesserily MosFET, Sir...!!!) will make your job..

No, mosfet not required :)   

IMO, what some others have said may be a good way to go:  a small tube-based preamp (Valvecaster? 18v?) and then you can overdrive THAT, if you are looking to capture some 'tube overdrive' sound!!   You could use a triode and have 2 gain stages - with the first overdriving the second by switch...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

antonis

Well said Sir, but doesn't a tube overdrive "squandered" when driven by a solid state amp..??

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..