Help with DIY delay

Started by tomb, August 26, 2017, 05:46:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomb

Hi

So for my third project (after some v beginner fuzzes), I may have overstretched myself a little...

I bought a delay kit from eBay (China), and have managed to get the bypass working, but not the delay.  It cuts out when the footswitch is pressed.

I'm afraid it annoyingly didn't come with a schematic, but this:

And here is the (as I thought) completed board:

I suspect the issue arises from this bit:
- on the board, there is a point labelled 'PWC IN RING'.  On the DC Jack, a connector is labelled PWC.  On the input jack, the ring is labelled 'PWC (INPUT JACK)'.  I have connected both the 'PWC' on the DC Jack and the 'PWC (INPUT JACK)' on the ring to the 'PWC IN RING'. 

I have a suspicion that only the 'PWC (INPUT JACK)' on the ring ought to be connected to the 'PWC IN RING'.  But then were would the 'PWC' on the input jack be connected to?

I've followed the parts in the kit and checked and double checked it.  The largest disparity in the kit was what is labelled as a 223J capacitor being a 273J capacitor. 

If anyone has any ideas on what to do (and 'don't buy cheap pedal kits from eBay' is probably a legit one), I'd greatly appreciate them!

EDIT:  I've tested it with battery and wall plug, and the same result was found!

GGBB

Quote from: tomb on August 26, 2017, 05:46:40 AM
I have a suspicion that only the 'PWC (INPUT JACK)' on the ring ought to be connected to the 'PWC IN RING'.  But then were would the 'PWC' on the input jack be connected to?

Input jack RING goes to "PWC IN RING." Output jack RING is left unconnected. DC jack "PWC" terminal goes to ground. This mistake would not prevent the pedal from working, so your problem is something else. A pedal that goes dead silent when engaged but works in bypass usually has a short to ground or an open somewhere along the signal path. Lots of causes for this including a faulty bypass switch and bad solder joints. Use your meter to check for continuity between input and output tips and ground when the pedal is engaged. Also check for continuity across the bypass switch terminals to verify that it is making the right connections. Without a schematic, checking other parts of the circuit is tricky.

The different cap value shouldn't be a problem for functionality, but may have a small impact on sound depending on where it is in the circuit (which we don't know). Most likely nothing to worry about.
  • SUPPORTER