Author Topic: Modding Crybaby with Light  (Read 363 times)

Ben Toast

Modding Crybaby with Light
« on: August 28, 2017, 07:52:01 PM »
Please forgive me if this is the wrong forum for this. Also, I'm a total noob at this stuff so forgive me if I sound too elementary.

I have a Crybaby that I'm trying to mod with an on/off indicator light. The light I want to use is a strip of purple LEDs which would be mounted on the underside of the foot lever.

The strip runs on 12V AC while the pedal runs on 9V DC. As I want this light to turn on/off with the pedal's switch, this poses a bit of a problem. So I've thought of a couple ways to maybe go about this.

Option 1: The lowest-rated capacitor in the pedal is rated at 16V. Could I run 12V DC to the pedal (instead of 9VDC) and run an inverter off the switch to power the light? Or would that damage the pedal?

Option 2: Keep the 9VDC running into the pedal. Run an inverter off the switch and a voltage transformer off of that to step up from 9VAC to 12VAC for the lights. Would this work? Would there be a delay while the voltage to the lights steps up?

Option 3: Power the lights off a separate power supply and fashion a new switch to the pedal just for the lights (not the prettiest option).

Can either of the first two options be done? If so, would electromagnetic interference with the signal be something I'd need to shield? Is there anything important that I need to consider? Is there another option that I haven't considered?

stallik

Re: Modding Crybaby with Light
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 03:47:27 AM »
Hi Ben and welcome.
First thing that comes to mind is that led's are DC. Your strip may require 12v ac but that could be due to the fact that there is an AC-DC converter in there. Have a good look at the strip of led's and see if you can spot any resistors in series with the led's. They are likely to be surface mount devices and therefore very small. If so, try connecting a 9v battery to the strip itself. Diodes only pass current one way so you may have to try the connections both ways round.

If the thing lights up with 9v then matters are greatly simplified allowing you to use the normal 9v supply and then replacing the stock switch with a 3pdt to do the extra switching.

I'm interested in your concept to put the led's under the treadle though. Not too sure how effective that might look on a black chassis though it could look cool on a chrome one. Mostly, people tend to use an acrylic light plate underneath which shows all around the edge.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Ben Toast

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 04:24:16 PM »
Hi stallik,

Thank you for that reminder! So it looks like they will run in 9V but not as bright as 12V. As you had mentioned, with the black chassis it's already not as bright. But perhaps I can use a voltage stepper to bring the 9v from the input up to 12v for the lights? Does the stock switch still need to be replaced or can I just test to find the on/off modes and connect from there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stallik

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 05:14:41 PM »
Simplest way is to replace the switch and use the extra pole to power the led's.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein